Posted By: johnny47 tongue is numb and painful - 03-30-2008 11:33 AM
I have started chemo this last week after pulling teeth and a surgeon having to file down alot of the jaw bone which was diseased. My tongue has two tumors on it. It is kinda numb in spots and is painful. Sometimes it hurts to even swollow water. Has anyone else had this issue and when will it go away? Radiation will start in two weeks or so.
Posted By: emmylou1951 Re: tongue is numb and painful - 03-30-2008 11:58 PM
Johnny: Hello and welcome to OCF. There are many here who will be happy to help you get through this difficult period. You will more responses if you'll post some general information about your diagnosis, staging, treatment plan, etc. Where are you being treated? 'Filing the jaw bone' certainly doesn't sound like fun, but maybe this was the only way to save it.

We'll be here for you! Keep us posted...Lois & Buzz in NC
Posted By: Kevin - Memphis Re: tongue is numb and painful - 03-31-2008 10:09 AM
Hi Johnny. I am assuming by your post you are just beginning treatment.

The pain in your tongue is quite normal. I had induction chemo before surgery and radiation and the tumor pain started to go away after the firts full week of chemo.

Hang in there and feel free to ask more questions as theu come up!

Kevin

Posted By: johnny47 Re: tongue is numb and painful - 04-05-2008 09:24 PM
I am heading in for the second week of erbitux and have noticed that the pain in the tongue is starting to disapate some. Thanks

emmylou, Treatment is in indiana at the central indiana cancer center. stage 4A.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum