Posted By: Steve J. mouth sores from chemo - 09-10-2007 10:54 AM
I'm currently undergoing chemo treatment for a recurrence/mets. I had Cisplatin, Docetaxel, and 5-FU two weeks ago today (the 5-FU was a 96 hour pump). After having radiation last year, I am finding horrible mouth sore problems. I've been sensitive orally ever since radiation of course. I guess last year I didn't even realize how much the chemo can cause mouth sores, because I was getting it concurrent with radiation - I just assumed all the carnage was from the radiation.

Anybody have any good luck with anything to help numb the pain? My lips are blistered and bloody and if I could open my mouth wide enough to see I assume it looks the same inside. They gave some sort of pinkish/white benadryl solution to rinse. It works to numb it for about 10 minutes but that's it. Any better suggestions would be appreciated. I won't be starting radiation again until after one more 3 week cycle of chemo - which will begin next Monday.

thanks
Steve
Posted By: Cookey Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-10-2007 11:40 AM
Mouth sores and bleeding are a nightmare steve and everyone will probably have a different piece of advice.Mine would be to keep everything moist, as bleeding will be exacerbated by things drying out and Rob used biotene gel,soda water and salt rinses helped but can be quite painful,nystatin washes keep the pain of thrush at bay,but ultimately until the treatment stops its gonna be very hard.Rob also got some relief from difflam but again it hurts a bit.Try some vaseline on your lips and bonjela is good for numbing things.

good luck

liz
Posted By: Dave and Sue Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-10-2007 01:22 PM
Hi
Gel Clair and difflam helped me
Hope all goes well
Dave and Sue
Posted By: brenfran25 Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-10-2007 03:35 PM
I find the 'little man with knives twisting' can be dulled brilliantly for quite a while with Oragel Max, which I bought in the States--my daughter ships it out to me regularly!
Brenda
Posted By: JAM Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-10-2007 10:13 PM
Steve, something else you might try is "Insisting Very Loudly" that either the Chemo Doc or the Nurses give you more thigs to try to help alleviate you pain and sores. Keep insisting that you need something better. Also, we used Aquaphor [an OTC product] for John's dry lips and it helped. John also found Rincinol P.R.N. helpful at times and Lidocaine 2% viscous solution[ by script]. You really need to get some relief before your radiation starts. Amy in the Ozarks
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-10-2007 10:31 PM
Steve,

Mouth sores are one of the most unwelcome side effects of chemo and radiation. These treatments target rapidly growing cells. The lining of the mouth and oral cavity is and area where cells rapidly replace the existing ones. There are multiple entities that can cause the sore ness and ulcers that can occur together or individually. A few that come to mind are: apthous ulcers, thrush, inflammatory hyperplasia, mucositis (more common with radiation than chemo), traumatic ulcers, and immunodeficiency (cuased by the chemo and on occasion not).
There is no "magic wand" and every patient is different and will have a different solution be their best friend to help reduce or control mouth sores.

Some things you can do, and you may already know these are,
Drink lots of water.
Avoid caffeine, alcohol in all forms and tobacco.
Avoid acidic, course (chips etc.) and spicy foods.
Be extremely diligent in your oral hygiene routine.
See your dentist, a rough tooth or filling that rubs your lips or cheek can remove or weaken the mucous membrane and actually cause and/or make the ulcers worse.
Your dentist can also recommend rinses or other medications that can help reduce the discomfot and pain.

I have in the past fabricated smooth, almost mouthguard like trays, for pateints to wear just to keep their teeth from contacting their cheeks and lips due to the fragile situation with the lining of their mouths.

Biotene, and Closys have products that can help.

I hope this is of some use to you.

E-mail me anytime.

My prayers and thought are with you.

Mike
Posted By: rrm8892 Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-10-2007 10:57 PM
Dan has been helped a lot by Med Oral flouride rinse, available (although not everywhere) without a prescription.
Posted By: Markus Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-10-2007 11:10 PM
Steve,
there are some good suggestions here. When things were bad for me I used viscous liocaine. I diluted this 1:2 and swished it around and also swallowed some (helped swallowing/eating). Unfortunatly the relief is only short term. I also used Aquaphor for lips.

Not to hijack this tread.... about on month after the end of the radiation I ended up getting blisters (top of mouth, soft palate) and on the inside of lip. The blisters (up to 7-10) appered when eating and had trapped fluid. (ca 1-3mm in diameter). They do/did not hurt and vanish within an hour or so... and reappear at different positions next time. Now I get only a few and rarely but always when eating. Presumably small glands are getting busy again?
Has anyone else encountered this?

Markus
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-10-2007 11:16 PM
Markus,

You are correct, small minor salivary and mucous glands are producing their products. The overlying skin (mucous membrane etc.) grows much faster and can grow over the tiny openings of these and result in tiny blisters as the saliva products are produced. This should become less prevalent as healing continues.

Any blisters that result in pain or ulceration that do not heal within 2 weeks should be mentioned to your doctors.

Cheers,

Mike
Posted By: Steve Daib Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-11-2007 09:30 PM
Hi Steve,

The 5 FU is the culprit. I don't want to be negative, but my pain lasted for 4 months. I had to use a peg tube to eat for that lenght of time. Magic Mouth wash did not touvh. They gave me morphine, fyntenal, and oxycotin and they barley touched the pain.

All of the above answeres are good thing to try, but it may be someting you have to live with for a while.

Steve Daib
Posted By: Steve J. Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-12-2007 12:32 PM
Just wanted to say thanks for all the great suggestions from everybody - I really appreciate the input. It has gotten a bit better in this third week of the cycle - but I start over on Monday with another cycle so I know it's coming back. At least now I have some things I can try. They were handing out little Aquaphor tubes at my CC and that does help at least keep the lips moist although it doesn't seem to heal the blisters.

thanks again. I just love this forum and all the help from folks who have LIVED it.

thanks
Steve
Posted By: Donnarose Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-12-2007 11:04 PM
Amy,
Mom used that as well and she really found it helped relieve her.
Posted By: Donnarose Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-12-2007 11:06 PM
Brenda,
I've never heard of anyone else referring to the little men in the mouth. My mom always uses that term. Scared her best friend recently-she thought mom was losing her mind! LOL!!
Posted By: brenfran25 Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-13-2007 05:37 AM
Those 'little men' can be SOOOOOOOOO vicious at times!! The gel knocks them off their perches and the knives fall out of their hands for a while-
LOL!
Tell your mom we'll beat the b**gers!

Brenda
Posted By: Donnarose Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-13-2007 08:48 AM
Can't wait to share that with her!
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-13-2007 06:36 PM
Steve, I had the sameChemo drugs and also had 5FU with a pump. What I did was to rinse with a salt water solution 4-5 times a day while on 5FU and the nect week and I had only minor sores which were not painful at all. I did this each week i was on 5FU. I mixed 3 spoonfuls of salt to 2 gallon of water. Bob
Posted By: JoAnne1981 Re: mouth sores from chemo - 09-13-2007 07:53 PM
Steve, Jack found lidocaine gel RX helped too. Regards JoAnne
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum