Posted By: SW chemo effect on kidneys - 07-20-2007 08:42 PM
Hi everyone.

My husband has only three radiation treatments to go (yay!), but his second Cisplatin treatment three weeks ago was so tough on his kidneys that he's had a rough time. He got really dehydrated. A new picc line has let him get round-the-clock IV fluids at home without going into the hospital, and he is finally on a night pump feeding into his peg tube.

Anyone out there with this experience? His normal creatinine level is around .9 to 1.1, but the Cisplatin got it up to 3.5. Five days ago it was 1.8, but nearly constant IV fluids has only brought it down to 1.7 yesterday. He's getting IV fluids (3 liters every 24 hours) until he sees the chemo doc on Monday. The doc said that depending on how it goes, he may get a dose of Carboplatin in a week.

Thanks for any advice!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: chemo effect on kidneys - 07-21-2007 09:18 AM
Shelly,

Was your husband tested for HPV?

I had 3 cis's and I constantly battled dehydration. Good luck.
Posted By: SW Re: chemo effect on kidneys - 07-21-2007 09:53 AM
Hi David.

Thanks for your reply - that Cisplatin is some rough stuff!

He hasn't been tested for HPV. He also doesn't want to know what stage his cancer is and doesn't want to know any statistics about survival rates ... he says he's just going to beat this cancer and all that info doesn't matter.

I think that having this attitude is helping him stay upbeat and is getting him through the rough part, but I have to admit that I'd like to know if he's HPV positive. Oh well ...

When did you finally get past problems with dehydration?
Posted By: Gary Re: chemo effect on kidneys - 07-22-2007 12:59 AM
You'll get past dehydration problems when he is able to consistently take in 2-3 liters of water every day. Keep a log of fluid intake and if he vomits those fluids need to be replaced. Liquids in food count a little too.

Cisplatin is very hard on the kidneys if you get dehydrated. If he needs rehydration the best place to get it (and also much faster) is in infusion rather than the ER if at all possible.
Posted By: Sophie H. Re: chemo effect on kidneys - 07-22-2007 11:11 AM
I have followed this 2-3 liters of water a day guide with my husband this past week and he feels great after feeling pretty lousy after his cisplatin, taxotere, and 5 FU.
Posted By: SW Re: chemo effect on kidneys - 07-22-2007 03:41 PM
Thanks for the replies.

Hopefully when he has his bloodwork done tomorrow, his creatinine level will be better. He was supposed to get his third Cisplatin treatment last Friday, but it was cancelled due to what his doc called "acute renal failure." That said, he didn't think there would be permanent damage to his kidneys.

If the creatinine number looks good tomorrow, the plan is for him to get Carboplatin instead this Friday.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum