Posted By: JAM Chemo side effects - 06-06-2006 10:19 PM
Can anyone tell me if they experienced "indigestion" or burning sensations in the stomach while on chemo? John is having trouble with this and the chemo Doc says it isn't from the chemo. Since John is only on tube feeds with 2CAl, water and gatoraid ,which he's been on since Feb and has tolerated it so far, I keep thinking the chemo has something to do with this. So far there has been no nausea. Amy
Posted By: NAN P Re: Chemo side effects - 06-07-2006 12:05 AM
My husband also had this during chemo and it was listed as side effect on info sheet that we had.
Robert took reglan 4 times daily and this helped, he also took protonix
Posted By: Mary M Re: Chemo side effects - 06-07-2006 05:06 AM
John had terrible heartburn and indigestion for a few days after every chemo treatment. He still gets it from time to time ( 6 months out) and he had pretty much never experienced it before he was treated for cancer.

When we reported the symptom his doctor said it was a side-effect some people had from the chemo and prescribed a liquid that was put through the g-tube he had at the time. It was called ranitidine, something that reduces the production of excess stomach acid and really helped calm things down a lot.

Mary
Posted By: Gary Re: Chemo side effects - 06-07-2006 02:59 PM
Absolutely,
Chemo does a number on the stomach lining and they gave me industrial strength Pepcid AC (AKA Famatodine). Reglan is supposed to "keep things moving" through the digestive system. I remember them telling me also to avoid Milk of Magnesia because magnesium was contraindicated with the chemo. Check with your doc.
Posted By: Marica Re: Chemo side effects - 06-07-2006 04:44 PM
It was a big problem for Pete, Amy, he was given something to mix with water and use in tube.
Wish I could remember the name but it was a common heartburn formula that I had used in pill form.
Marica
Posted By: JAM Re: Chemo side effects - 06-07-2006 04:49 PM
Thanks, guys. Amy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum