Posted By: Amelia Dry mouth - 02-03-2005 06:34 PM
My sister, who has had a partial glossectomy and her saliva glands removed suffers from dry mouth.

Are there any products that anyone can recommend to alleviate this condition?
Posted By: Uptown Re: Dry mouth - 02-03-2005 06:39 PM
Amelia,

There are some products on the main part of this website. Click on the link on the bottom to access the home page and follow from there. Also, you can search the forum and find tons of suggestions from a whole lot of folks that have found a handful of things that make it a bit easier to live with.

Good luck and welcome to the neighborhood.

Ed
Posted By: Debbie Domer/Caregiver Re: Dry mouth - 02-03-2005 06:51 PM
Amelia,
Dan uses Biotene toothpaste and Betacell mouthwash and ALWAYS has to have a water bottle at all times. I don't think in Dan's case it will ever be alleviated as he has no saliva glands left.
God bless and take care,
Debbie
Posted By: ssax Re: Dry mouth - 02-04-2005 01:02 AM
Amelia,
You didn't mention if your sister had radiation as well and if so, how long ago. I found that certain products helped at different stages of the healing process.

I currently use Biotene toothpaste, mouthwash and gel (now 8 months post radiation) but early on, I found that the Biotene gel was too thick for the dryness of my mouth (even if I warmed it up some by running it under hot water) and used a product called Salivart. Eventually, my taste buds changed and I could no longer stand the taste of Salivart. Then I tried MouthKote Oral Moisturizer and something generically called Saliva Substitute by Roxane Labs. Each time my taste changed and I couldn't use those products any longer. I ended up settling on Biotene.

My advice would be to experiment and find out which products work for you. When they start to taste funny or stop working, try something else.

Best wishes, Sheldon
Posted By: Cath Re: Dry mouth - 02-04-2005 12:23 PM
Hi Amelia, I had radiation in 1991 and still have a very dry mouth. I keep a cup of ice water with
me all the time even at night I find it helps.
The other thing is Ice Cream especially the Root
Beer Pops they are real good.
Cathy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum