Posted By: amk813 Kims' Out of Options - 11-09-2004 06:23 AM
Last Thursday, Kim's doctors informed us that there are no other options. The chemo isn't working and because of her infection, she cannot use the experimental treatments. He gave her a prognosis, which we were hoping would never come. She has anywhere from a week to a few months, according to her doctor. He told my parents that they can get another opinion if they want, but that if he knew of anyone who could help Kim, he'd have her on a plane immediately. This really sucks! Kim signed power of attorney to my parents and a living will. She didn't even cry. SHe amazes me everyday with her strength. They put her on a pump to administer her pain meds and hospice is coming to the house. IT is so tough to admit defeat to this nasty disease. Now my prayers are that Kim doesn't suffer too much.

Everyday we see some more tumors and unlike most tumors that eat away at the inside of a body. Kim's is eating away at the outisde. She has massive hole across her neck from the cancer tumors. We found a tumor on her lip last Monday. Last Thursday, she had one in the corner of her left eye, and On Sunday, she had one her right eyelid.

I am so scared for her, myself, and my family. I really don't know what to do at this point. I try to see her everyday and make her smile, but I don't feel like it's enough. I am so angry that she is being cheated from life!! At 23, what has she really experienced?!

I am sorry to ramble on. Please keep her in your prayers.

Thanks,
Posted By: Nicki Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-09-2004 09:58 AM
May God bless you and keep you.

Nicki
Posted By: Daniel Bogan Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-09-2004 10:16 AM
May Kims journey be painlss and peaceful. My thoughts and prayers go out to kim and her family. Remember you will meet her again.

God Bless, Danny Boy
Posted By: rosie Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-09-2004 10:35 AM
Angie,

I am so sorry that it has come down to this. I think I know how you feel. Heather was only 29 when this disease claimed her life. Besides parents, grandparents, siblings and friends, she also left behind a husband and young daughter. It was devastating, not just to lose her, but to have to watch her suffer. She also had holes in her neck. Near the end, she had fluids leaking from her nose, mouth and ears. It is a terrible thing to witness. I can feel your anguish. I only wish there was something I could say to ease the pain.

I, too, hope Kim doesn't have to suffer much. Don't be afraid to have the pain meds increased as needed. The main thing now is to keep her as comfortable as possible. Please take advantage of all the services hospice has to offer. They can help to make the final journey a little more bearable.

Your pain will not be eased anytime soon. It has been more than a year now since we lost Heather and I am still hurt, angry and even bewildered at times. I still have trouble accepting that it had to be this way. I did not go to grief counseling and I only recently went on an anti-depressant. I suggest that you and your family not wait as long as I did to take these steps.

Please vent here as often as you want. I derived a great deal of comfort from the people on the forum. I knew they would listen to all my ramblings. There is a common bond here that reaches across the miles.

Sending hugs to you and yours. May your god be with you.
Rosie
Posted By: Erik Kleiva Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-09-2004 11:29 AM
I'm so sorry for you & your family. I'm speechless.
Posted By: Kris Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-09-2004 12:31 PM
Angie-
My heart and prayers go out to you, Kim and your family. I pray that Kim will find peace and faith as she beings a new journey. As Rosie has said your journey won't end soon as the caregivers and family of those of us with cancer are left with the pain, heartache and picking up the pieces of their lives. Hold onto the good memories that you've shared with Kim and take care of yourself. Kim is very fortunate to have a sister that has so much love to share. Your sister has touched many lives. - Kris
Posted By: Carol L Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-09-2004 12:48 PM
Angie, I don't have words to express how I feel right now. I can only pray for Kim, you and your family..I am so sorry Kim is going thru this. Love, Carol
Posted By: Debbie Domer/Caregiver Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-09-2004 02:50 PM
Angie,
My God send down angels to make Kim comfortable and to walk beside you and your family in this very hard and desvastating journey. I can't imagine the pain you are experiencing right now but know that you and your family are in my daily prayers. May God also provide peace and comfort.
Love, Debbie
Posted By: Darrell G. Rakestraw Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-09-2004 05:44 PM
Even though you know that Kim's time of departure is near and you prepare yourself for the inevitable. It will still be emotionally devestating when the time arrives,
It is human nature.
Even though we should celebrate death, we cannot. We are never ready to give them up.
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.
Darrell
Posted By: DQKCK Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-09-2004 08:13 PM
Take care of yourself and your family your sister is surely aware of the love you have for her . It may help her find peace
Diane
Posted By: Marcy Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-09-2004 08:23 PM
Angie,
Be with your sister as much as possible, even though I know the pain of watching her suffer.
Hold her hand, hold her, tell her how much you love her..
I would do anything in this entire world to have my precious sister back. I will pray for your sister and her entire family. What you are going though is unbearable and I wish I could take your pain away.
God bless you all,
Michelle
Posted By: KirkGeorgia Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-09-2004 08:24 PM
My prayers for all of you.
Posted By: Eileen Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-09-2004 10:42 PM
Hold your sisters hand and tell her how much you love her. When the final hours come, even though she may not acknowlege you, sometimes they can hear us and squeeze our hands to let us know they know we are there. I hope her final journey is pain free. Remember we are all here to help.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Brett Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-10-2004 02:27 PM
I share your anger. The other feelings I have in this regard defy description. Please accept my very best wishes....

-Brett
Posted By: DanielleO Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-10-2004 06:01 PM
Angie,
Please send my love and prayers to Kim and your family. My heart aches for you all. Please know that there are many people who are here for you if you need us.....Let me know if there is anything at all that I can do for you.

Love,
Dani
Posted By: Uptown Re: Kims' Out of Options - 11-10-2004 07:17 PM
Angie,

I am so sorry to hear the news. I pray for peace and comfort for you and your entire family. May He hold you in his arms and provide whatever you need right now and through this difficult time.

God Bless,

Ed
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum