Posted By: Darrell G. Rakestraw Recovery Setback - 10-26-2004 06:30 PM
I have been out of treatment since May 04 and have not, until today, had a swallowing test. I have been drinking liquids and eating, within reason, but I have always had a problem with choking and a constant feeling like I needed to clear my throat.
Today I saw the problem on a digital xray monitor. When I swallow liquids, a small portion of that liquid goes down my Trachea. The Radiologist was surprised that I had not already had Pneumonia.
For the next two months, I can only have viscous substances like apple sauce by mouth. All liquids, Ensure for nutrients, etc, must go through the PEG.
If any of you experience choking sensations while trying to eat or drink, you too may be aspirating your food/drink and this can lead to major respiratory health problems . I urge you to seek the opinion of a Dysphagia professional, swallowing clinic, etc.
Darrell
Posted By: ChuckF Re: Recovery Setback - 10-26-2004 07:24 PM
Darrell,
I had similar "spillover" problems diagnosed by the Speech/Swallowing therapist. She walked me through a series of swallowing exercizes which I practiced for several weeks. I saw improvement almost immediately, and now, 8 months out, I have minimal swallowing problems. Crumbly meat tends to stick in my throat.
It was a matter of exercizing the tongue and throat muscles, and I can only imagine how bizarre I must have looked doing the exercizes.
Now that you've identified the problem, I'm hoping you will have the same success in beating it.

Good Health

Chuck
Posted By: Uptown Re: Recovery Setback - 10-26-2004 07:41 PM
Darrell,

Thanks for the info. I hope you find succes like Chuck did in battling the problem. I have been wondering if I am having lymph nodes swelling up around my collarbone and lower neck because of this. I seem to have them from the ear down the the collarbone swelling up but not hard. I think I will check out the aspiration because I do choke on water sometimes and cough during and after meals.

Ed
Posted By: David H. Brown Re: Recovery Setback - 10-27-2004 05:36 AM
Darrell,

Let me add my thanks here as well. I'm about five months post-radiation now, and still have significant difficulty swallowing. I also have what I call coughing fits. Whatever it is, it's definitely radiation induced. I'll ask my surgeon and radiation nocologist about a referral. Thanks, and good luck to you.

David
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum