Posted By: KirkGeorgia Neck dissection - update 2 - 04-23-2004 01:31 PM
Just to update you all, my surgery was cancelled yesterday. The doctor discovered a "suspicious" area on my right tonsil, the original primary site, during exploratory work. When he took a sample to the lab, they couldn't guarantee that the sample wasn't cancer. They couldn't say for sure that it was, but couldn't say it wasn't, either. So, they brought me back from never-never land and we have tentatively rescheduled the surgery for next Friday, 4/30. The doctor says he is 99%+ sure it isn't cancer, but took the precaution anyhow. If it is cancer, we haven't really discussed what the course of action is, but I presume it would require a replanning of the surgery to include the suspect area as well as a clear margin around it. Hopefully, it will turn out negative and I won't have to worry about it. Anyhow, that's my story to date.
Posted By: Uptown Re: Neck dissection - update 2 - 04-23-2004 05:25 PM
Kirk,

I can't imagine how trying a time this is for you. It sounds like you have a great doctor and he wants to do a thorough job. I am hoping (and praying) for success on your upcoming surgery and another miracle from the maker.

Ed
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum