Posted By: Stef H Met with the nutritionist today - 06-06-2017 01:56 AM
Today I met with the nutritionist in preparation for radiation that begins 6/13.

Key take-aways:
- 2 liters of water per day
- 75 to 88 grams of protein per day
- 1600 to 1800 calories (I'm 5'2" and usually my calorie limit is 1200.)

Taking Christine's advice and enjoying favorite foods before I begin. Tonight's special treat: glass of red wine. With the pre radiation tooth extraction there were limited options wink

When I begin radiation I will do a post on the blog section and will update for each day of radiation.

I have an appointment with the speech and swallowing therapy department and may take advantage of the free exercise physiology session. My RO wants me to start doing yoga.

Thank you all for reading my posts and your support. I will be candid - terrified of radiation side effects - but will work hard to keep up hydration and nutrition.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Met with the nutritionist today - 06-11-2017 12:25 PM
Hang in there Stef! We are all always fearful of the unknown. Ive watched countless OC patients struggle thru rads due to not focusing on their intake enough. That is the key to getting thru it the easiest possible way. Every single day hit the minimums of 2500 calories and 48-64 oz of water. If you are slim and/or can push to take more in that can only help to make it easier. Even 3500 calories a day is not too much for those going thru rads or in the first months of recovery. Its too easy to think "ahhhh, I messed up today, tomorrow I'll do better". I was one who had that way of thinking. Well as I quickly found out, tomorrow never comes and you quickly turn what should be a daily routine into a gigantic game of catch up that never really happens. I fell into that hole and it took several hospitalizations for malnutrition and dehydration to pull myself out of it. You are far better organized than I was. I really hope you can hit the daily minimums consistently and even take in more on some days so you can be one of the few lucky ones who sail right thru with barely any side effects.

Good luck next week smile
Posted By: Stef H Re: Met with the nutritionist today - 06-12-2017 04:56 PM
Thank you, Christine! I am taking all your advice to heart. I am so sorry you had to go through so much and incredibly grateful that you are sharing your experience to help others.

Hope I may pay it forward someday!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum