Posted By: sweetpe1 Finally some good news - 03-18-2015 04:54 PM
My mom had a CT Scan last Friday and we received the results today. The Chemo must be working because the Cancer is shrinking. The cancer Cells in my moms cheek of her face and in her neck are gone. The doctors are really happy with the results. My mom took 3 treatments of Carboplatin/Doctaxel before the scan was done. Now the doctors will continue with 6 more rounds and hope the remaining cancer continues to shrink. There is still a spot in the rear Mandible and on the Carotid Artery. We are happy that the cancer is finally responding to treatment.

As for the open wound on her neck. The doctors had a meeting after reading the results of the scan and have decided to go through with the hyperbaric treatments. The wound is so deep into her throat that it has to be done. These treatments will start this coming Monday.

Thanks
Heidi
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Finally some good news - 03-18-2015 05:08 PM
Heidi, That's good news indeed. Your mum has had a really rough time; hopefully, the news that the tumours are shrinking will be an encouragement to her.
Posted By: sweetpe1 Re: Finally some good news - 03-18-2015 11:57 PM
Gmcraft
Thank you and yes my mom started crying when the doctor gave her the good news . Hopefully the Chemo continues to shrink the cancer . At least we have some sort of hope now .

Also the concern for the hyperbaric treatment will weigh heavy on us . We have no choice at this point . The wound has dug deep into my moms throat and the only chance if healing is hyperbaric . The doctor explained it was never really proven that the cancer will spread from hyperbaric . The doctor said other cancer patients have had this done and are doing Better actually.

Thanks
Heidi
Posted By: someguyjeff Re: Finally some good news - 03-19-2015 12:12 AM
That is really great news!!! It is wonderful to hear some good news on here sometimes. I am very happy for your mother and you. I also hope that this could provide another standard of care for people in the future who may also face a situation that is similar.
Posted By: Alpaca Re: Finally some good news - 03-19-2015 03:48 AM
Good news to hear, Heidi. Give my regards to your mother who will be feeling very encouraged by this.

Maureenxxx
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Finally some good news - 03-19-2015 03:55 AM
Thats excellent news, Heidi!!!

Ive done quite a few HBO dives. Its not difficult at all, just very time consuming. I would watch TV or take naps. Dont be surprised if she would need to get tube put in her ears to help with the pressure changes. That also is no big deal and can even be done in the ENTs office if its a routine procedure without any complications. I had those as well and its easy. After everything your mother has already gone thru these things would be very easy for her to go thru.

Best wishes!
Posted By: donfoo Re: Finally some good news - 03-19-2015 06:26 AM
That is super news! It is great to hear when cancer responds to treatment. Keep the faith and hope for more reductions!
Posted By: poiuyt Re: Finally some good news - 03-19-2015 12:57 PM
Excellent news, Heidi! Please don't be concerned about the hyberbaric oxygen (HBO) treatments. It's only breathing oxygen in a pressure chamber, which promotes tissue healing. As Christine said, it is time consuming, several hours per session. Bring a book to read or something to keep you occupied during your Mom's "dives". Get her a book or something to keep her occupied during her dives too.

Did they say what kind of chamber she'll be in? They make single chamber units for one person and large chambers that will accommodate 12 or more people. I was in one of those large ones. One lady who dove with us knitted every day but most of us either read or took naps. I wrote a lot of letters too.

Also, did the doctors say how many dives she'll be taking? I did 30 dives, and at five dives per week, that was six weeks.

Congrats again on the good news!
Posted By: sweetpe1 Re: Finally some good news - 03-20-2015 03:41 AM
Thank you all so much

The doctors office called yesterday evening and said he wanted my mom to start the HBO this morning instead of Monday. So mom did her first HBO dive today. She is in a single chamber and stayed in for 90 minutes. Doctor scheduled 30 dives 90 minutes each Everyday except weekends. Doctor said it wont affect the Chemo treatments so I hope we continue to get some good news.

Thank you all for your support.

God Is Good
Heidi
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum