Posted By: sweetpe1 Finally Making to move to MD Anderson - 12-20-2014 03:11 AM
For the past week I've been on the phone and faxing all my mothers medical records to the Head and Neck department of MD Anderson.
Today I got the call that my moms insurance company has agreed to pay for her to go out of state for treatment. I just cant wait to get there.

The Doctors here wanted to try Erbitux but we decided to pass on that and get a different opinion from a Comprehensive Cancer Center. We should have done this along time ago. My mother wanted to keep trusting in the doctors here but I explained to her its time to move on . There just hasn't been any good results with any treatment so far . So she has agreed to go.

I was told today that on Monday I will get a call for a appointment for the first week of January and to reserve 5 to 7 days for the first visit.

I feel excited about going and hopefully some kind of treatment will help my mother.

Happy Holidays Everyone
Heidi
Posted By: Uptown Re: Finally Making to move to MD Anderson - 12-20-2014 03:41 AM
Heidi, this really is great news! It will remove some doubt and give you peace of mind. Now go enjoy the holidays!

Happy Holidays to you and your mother!
Posted By: sweetpe1 Re: Finally Making to move to MD Anderson - 12-21-2014 01:09 AM
Thanks Uptown

I'm felling so much better now . In the back of my mind I know my mother will be in better hands. I feel if there is any treatments available to help my mother this would be the place to be.

Thank You very much for the support
Heidi
Posted By: donfoo Re: Finally Making to move to MD Anderson - 12-22-2014 07:28 AM
Great news. If you can arrange treatment at CCC it is the better option, especially in a complicated case such as this.
Good luck
Posted By: sweetpe1 Re: Finally Making to move to MD Anderson - 12-22-2014 11:37 AM
Thanks Don

I'll be driving 6 hours from where I'm at to Houston. I feel like this has to be done if there is any chance of my mother surviving. I cant see her being pumped up with treatments here that aren't working and then it being to late to take any other treatment that may be offered.

I feel in my heart I have to go the extra mile.

Thank you Don
Heidi
Posted By: cantbelieve Re: Finally Making to move to MD Anderson - 12-29-2014 06:45 PM
Hey Sweetpe
Thats awesome news ...
My husband was told that he is terminal on December 10, 2014. This is because the cancer is back and its in his lymph nodes in his chest. We are considering MD anderson but the cost for consulatation is $33,000 and then treatment.
We are in Canada and treatment is free... maybe not the best but free...
What are your thoughts on this ...
please let me know
thanks
zahra
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Finally Making to move to MD Anderson - 12-30-2014 01:58 AM
Zahra - are you sure about those costs for a consultation? That seems rather extreme and out of the norm. It also looks like from your signature that the treatment so far was surgical only. Would you please confirm that this is they case. If you could get seen at Princes Margaret, which has an excellent reputation, do you have the financial means to travel to it. If a US major center would see you after a consultation is it feasible to pay for treatments here in the US?
Posted By: sweetpe1 Re: Finally Making to move to MD Anderson - 12-30-2014 12:13 PM
Cantbelieve

No dollar figures was ever discussed over the phone. However insurance was a big issue. Before my mother could even get an appointment her insurance had to agree to cover the cost. I did notice on the MD Anderson Website there is financial assistance available and different methods of payments arrangements. I guess for people without insurance that is.

The surrounding hotels offer you a medical rate to stay and there are several Free places for patients who will be staying long term such as surgeries and treatments.
Once you have a appointment you will be given all the helpful information for traveling and Lodging.

A couple of people from this forum have sent me messages and said they were very pleased with the doctors , hospital and treatment. Also there outcome after treatment was really good.

This phone number is straight to the MD Anderson Head and Neck Clinic (713)-745-5146.

Heidi
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Finally Making to move to MD Anderson - 12-30-2014 03:02 PM
Zahra, my husband is being treated at Ptincess Margaret and, like MD Anderson, is among the top five research hospitals in the world. Our experience has been great. There are all kinds of trials ongoing if that is what you are looking for. It looks from their website that they will accept your provincial health insurance. Last week when my husband was waiting for his chemo session, we actually ran into someone from Kamloops, B.C. There is a Lodge where the patient can stay at minimal cost and you can get hospital rates from the hotels nearby.
Posted By: QueenKong Re: Finally Making to move to MD Anderson - 01-02-2015 12:04 PM
Sweetpe
Your mom is lucky to have you advocate. MD Anderson sounds like a good move. Let us know how things are gping and what they recommend.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum