Hi all! We are down to 2 rads left! Tuesday will hopefully be the last time he has to be held captive under that mask. I have a strange question, especially so late in the game. I am worried about it though and it won't leave me in peace. My husband never really completely got the lotions/Aquaphor completely off of his neck before rads. He would wash up but I could always see a very slight bit of shininess on his skin. I was wondering why they are told to have a clean neck. Does it interfere with the radiation beam? Now I am worried that it didn't penetrate the way it should have. Lord, I'm a nut....sigh.
At this point, no worries. Just wipe off as best you can. There are different views on whether it creates side effects or not. My own team was not very concerned so I did not get concerned at all and did not sense any reaction to what little might have remained with just a wipe or two.

Congrats on the finish line. Beginning for the recovery and onto better heath. Good luck, don
Most important, don't put any creams on your neck an hour before radiation. I saw a bloke who had done that thinking he was doing the right thing, but he puffed up and was swollen and burnt. It acts like cooking oil apparently.

If your husband has survived to this point I don't think you have anything to worry about. Good luck with the last 2!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum