Posted By: Keleigh My father - 08-08-2014 11:31 PM
My father had his mandiblectomy 6/13. He was released from the hospital 6/25. He returned to the ER 6/27 because he had an infected feeding tube and his jaw was grossly swollen. He was vomiting when he was released and it got to the point where he didn't eat (g-tube) or take water for 18 hours. He was admitted to the hospital with an infected g-tube. He had a j-tube procedure to help with the vomiting since they assumed his vomiting was g-tube related. Two days later he lifted his head so the residents could see his incision. It opened and poured pus everywhere. He had a super infection in his jaw that took over 2 weeks for them to find something to combat the infection. He still looks like he has a 1/2 a cantaloupe on his face. He is still in the hospital and fell last week while in the bathroom and hit his head. He is to start radiation 8/11; 5 days on, 2 days off, for 5 weeks. He was supposed to have chemo as well but they do not think he is strong enough for it. Thanks for all the well wishes. He is being more positive now than I have ever seen in my entire life. I am not sure if he is wanting to fight this or if it is the depression medication they put him on in April.
Posted By: Uptown Re: My father - 08-08-2014 11:34 PM
Keleigh, I'm so sorry to hear of all the challenges your father has faced.
Posted By: Keleigh Re: My father - 08-09-2014 12:26 AM
I just spoke to my father. He is miserable. Since he fell he has an alarm hooked up to his bed and he cannot do anything without it going off. He feels like he is in a prison. He told me he just wants to go home (to my brothers, which is 7 hours away from me in another state).
Posted By: AnitaFrances Re: My father - 08-09-2014 02:08 AM
Keleigh,

I feel so bad for you and your Dad. Infection can be so debilitating. My husband had a mandibulectomy and has been through many infections. My husband loves TV and old movies.

While he is in the hospital, can your Dad have some distractions like music that could relax him or movies he enjoys watching? Does he have a laptop or iPad that he can use to occupy his time? He could visit with your brothers with FaceTime or Skype.

This is so hard for you, too. I hope you are being kind to yourself and getting the care you need to stay strong. You have a very tough job as a caregiver. Hang in there.

© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum