Posted By: Galley9399 Own week post tx - 07-16-2014 10:33 PM
It's been eight days since my husband finished his rads🇷🇺 Its good to spend some time at home as we have had to drive over two hundred miles five days a week for seven weeks...he is doing good throat is starting to fill better he drank some milk yesterday we have been keeping him plenty fluids in the peg and formula is doing good we go back for a check up tomorrow so another long trip his neck looks great
I told him he looked younger on his neck !!!! he looks so Much better we will know more as the months go. By he still has the mucus but that's gotten so much better he slept so good last night that's been the bigest upset for him trough out all this the rope mucus ,,
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Own week post tx - 07-16-2014 10:47 PM
Ask about getting a prescription for a portable suction machine while at the doctor tomorrow. You can even get the nurse to suction him out while there. He will feel so much better with all that gunk being removed. At least the ropey mucous only sticks around for a few weeks then its gone. Also using a humidifier at night while sleeping helps as does rinsing with either seltzer water or baking soda and salt water mixture.

Best wishes with your husbands continued recovery.

Posted By: n74tg Re: Own week post tx - 07-17-2014 12:11 PM
Yes, congrats on his finishing treatment. You've probably heard it already, but he will be fairly uncomfortable for probably 6 to 7 weeks post treatment. I thought recovery would be linear; I would feel a little less bad every day until all the side effects were gone. That's not how it was with me; some days and some weeks are better and some worse; none of them as bad as they were immediately upon completion of treatment, but it isn't linear either.

Mucositis, ropey mucous, dry mouth, throat and sinuses, thrush, trismus; these are just a few of the things to watch out for. I found the NeilMed sinus irrigator (Walmart) works wonders at removing the gunk from the sinuses.

Tell him to keep fighting, he just can't relax quite yet.

take care
Tony
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Own week post tx - 07-18-2014 01:04 PM
Things will start to improve.
Posted By: BrianPK Re: Own week post tx - 07-18-2014 08:21 PM
The next 4 weeks are tough, but the improvement will happen!
Posted By: OzMojo Re: Own week post tx - 07-20-2014 11:20 AM
It can be a bit disheartening to realise after treatment you still have quite a way to go. I think I had unrealistic expectations, and its best to keep those in check. You guys still have a fair way to go, stay strong and remember you're not alone, even though it does seem like that after you stop the daily visits to the hospital.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum