Posted By: Nick V Neck/shoulder area is severely burned - 06-16-2014 05:19 PM
This is my mom's 2nd go around with radation. The side effects this time around are very visible - a great amount of neck, should area/ and side of face are visibly burned and it is very hard to look at.

She has two more sessions of radiation and am not sure her skin will allow her to go through any more.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Neck/shoulder area is severely burned - 06-16-2014 07:42 PM
Here is what I just replied to another member whose husband was getting radiation burns...

If your husband has not been using cream for his neck he should start immediately. I used Beta Val (prescription). There are many different ones available, ask the doc what he recommends. Always pat it on gently, never rub it in, let the cream soak into his skin and reapply. Never use the cream a few hours prior to going to rads but immediately afterwards dab some on.

Focus on what is within your control... your mothers intake. Every single day she should be taking in a at least 2500+ calories and 48-64 oz of water. By working hard at getting the proper daily amounts it will make things easier.

If your mother is in pain, speak up and tell the doc. Nobody should have to go thru this in pain, it does not help the patient at all to suffer. Many have used the fentanyl patch. If she would get the patch, make sure to follow directions exactly. Never ever fold, bend, tear, cut the patch. Always place it on a different place every 3 days. It will take about 24 hours to kick in but the patch simplifies the pain meds by only occasionally needing extra when the pain gets severe.

Best wishes!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Neck/shoulder area is severely burned - 06-18-2014 12:15 PM
I used Aquaphor.
Posted By: David2 Re: Neck/shoulder area is severely burned - 06-18-2014 04:01 PM
You might also ask about Silver Sulfadiazine. It's a thick cream and feels really good going on.

Good luck and hang in there!
Posted By: n74tg Re: Neck/shoulder area is severely burned - 06-20-2014 12:11 PM
I used Aquaphor twice a day and had no problems other than a dark tan on one side of the neck. As your's is advanced you may need the other meds listed above. Just be diligent in their application and never before treatment.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Neck/shoulder area is severely burned - 06-23-2014 02:26 PM
I only used Aquaphor or Cetaphil also as my radiation burns were not bad. Some I hear needed other medications, which should be prescribed by your doctors, especially for open or seeping wounds.

Good luck.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum