Posted By: Liam Skye Weird Cisplatin side effect - 04-13-2014 01:49 PM
(Hic) I have had two out of my scheduled three Cisplatin infusions. (Hic) Both times I have had a weird side effect (Hic) that I have never heard of anyone else having. (Hic)

Anyone else hiccup violently for a few days after Cisplatin? The usual controlled breathing/diaphragm relaxing techniques stop them temporarily but they keep (Hic) coming back sporadically for two or three days after infusion, then they just fade away.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Weird Cisplatin side effect - 04-13-2014 03:15 PM
Hi Liam Skye,

It may be from the Decadron infusion, Dexamethasone, a corticosteroid, also under other names, given to reduce nausea side effects with cisplatin and others. To counter this effect, Thorazine or similar is given, Gabapentin or changing the corticosteroid. Sometimes its from Cisplatin, and may reduce the dosage or from other causes. Let your medical team know.

Good luck.
Posted By: Bart Re: Weird Cisplatin side effect - 04-13-2014 03:21 PM
Hi Liam,

(holds up his hand) Yeah, I've definitely noticed it also; in fact, not only the cisplatin but radiation causes it also. Note my sig, most recently I got 3 more weeks of external beam goodies, including a much milder return of the "hiccups if you look cross-eyed at me."

But we all react differently to stimulii. Some slip through the gate unnoticed, some pay the full price.
Posted By: ChrisN Re: Weird Cisplatin side effect - 04-13-2014 03:56 PM
Hiccups of biblical proportions.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Weird Cisplatin side effect - 04-13-2014 06:30 PM
Hi ! My Kris had relentless hiccups which stopped him breathing at times. They lasted for 10 days post Cisplatin and nothing stopped them. We tried Chlorpromazine plus Haloperidol, plus Lorazepam plus . I ended up giving Kris a tablet of some kind every 2 - 3 hours... It made the hiccups more manageable , but did not relieve them.
Best of luck.
Tammy
Posted By: TheHellion Re: Weird Cisplatin side effect - 04-13-2014 07:37 PM
I, too, had this. Violent hiccups that also brought the worst heartburn I've ever had. The result was akin to ALMOST vomiting 50-100 times for 10 minutes. I did find, weirdly, that the Alka-seltzer anti- acid chewable tablets helped. Still had the hiccups, but it took some of the violent acid edge off.

Of course, with the Cisplatin, I wanted to throw those tablets up as well, but if I was careful and used one tablet approximately very hour, I could hang through the hiccups and hold down what little I could eat.

Your mileage may vary, but I did manage to walk a bit of a tightrope on this particular Cisplatin side-effect.

Good luck, hang in there and hang tough!

The Hellion

Posted By: PaulB Re: Weird Cisplatin side effect - 04-13-2014 08:41 PM
Here is more on the Subject:

http://www.oncologypractice.com/jso/journal/articles/0704122.pdf
Posted By: OzMojo Re: Weird Cisplatin side effect - 04-14-2014 09:38 PM
Yes I noticed the hiccups. All day, all night, in my sleep too. And tinnitus, but compared to the nausea they were relatively minor. It reminded me of that guy on the Simpsons... lol https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A2DscjJ7tN4
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Weird Cisplatin side effect - 04-15-2014 02:10 PM
I've heard other people ask this question so yes as you have heard... hiccups can happen...

;o)

hugs.
Posted By: GulfCoast Re: Weird Cisplatin side effect - 04-21-2014 12:44 AM
Not that you need another confirmation, but yes bad hiccups after the first two infusions. Also heartburn that continued long after treatment.

Oddly I don't remember hiccups after the third infusion. Maybe I just forgot as I was worn out at the time.
Posted By: OzMojo Re: Weird Cisplatin side effect - 04-25-2014 05:21 AM
I'm not sure if its the Cisplatin or the steroids? It seemed to stop when the steroid course ran out. The nausea continued but the hiccups stopped.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Weird Cisplatin side effect - 04-25-2014 10:25 AM
Kris had the hiccups for 14 days. Just a weeks respite before the next dose of Cisplatin and it all starting again. We are sure it was the Cisplatin. Nothing stopped the relentless hiccuping. They went all night too.
The experience was so terrible I know that he would never have any further chemo.
Tammy
Posted By: MLC Re: Weird Cisplatin side effect - 04-28-2014 09:54 PM
My husband was given a choice between Cisplatin and Erbitux and I remember them telling him one of the annoying sideeffects of Cisplatin could be hiccups. More common in men than women. Hope this helps.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum