Posted By: Katy G Started IMRT today...going for 30 appts - 03-11-2014 03:32 AM
Today's appointment was rather uneventful, I'm doing head and neck radiation for six weeks, Mon thru Friday. I'm about five hours post RT and my neck is a bit red and irritated, itching, and sort of a prickly heat..mainly around my neck dissection scar. I'm assuming this is normal.

No other side effects yet. The mask makes me crazy, I never thought I was claustrophobic before I laid under that mask for the first time! I will be asking about anxiety meds on doctor day tomorrow.

I'm anxious about this whole ordeal, but I feel good. I'm optimistic.
Posted By: donfoo Re: Started IMRT today...going for 30 appts - 03-11-2014 03:41 AM
Katy,

It is common for the first couple weeks for the "free pass" to last. About then the side effects start to take hold and the ride gets rough thereafter. Enjoy the scenery while you can.

The mask makes many very anxious. If, after a few more sessions you feel it is not any better, ask for some meds to pop before treatment. One downside is it may affect your ability to drive to treatment.

People bring music in and count the songs until done. Personally, I was not anxious but more bored and just wanted to get it done. I would focus on the arm as it swung around and watched the fingers slide in and out and imagined what sort of radiation pattern it was shaping as the rads were being delivered.
Posted By: Katy G Re: Started IMRT today...going for 30 appts - 03-11-2014 03:50 AM
I was worrying about what would happen if they walked away and something happened that everyone left and I was STUCK under that mask ALL night until morning! My anxiety is terrible. lol. I hear that by the end of the first week, things are starting to get a bit worse. I'm choosing to be optimistic that things will not be as bad as my mind is making them. We shall see. I'm happy, anyway. smile I am on narcotic pain meds so my husband drives me to every appointment anyway.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Started IMRT today...going for 30 appts - 03-11-2014 04:32 AM
Usually the effects of radiation, redness, start between 10-14 days after starting, but some may have them sooner. Did they tell you to use cream on your neck? Usually it's Aquaphor, last year Cetaphil was also recommended to me, less gready, but don't use the creams before your radiation treatment. They have audio, and CCTV to monitor you, but I often thought the same, but thought no plastic mask was going to hold me down lol. Good luck the rest of the week.
Posted By: Katy G Re: Started IMRT today...going for 30 appts - 03-11-2014 05:05 AM
The redness and itching is mainly around my scar. I have extremely sensitive skin anyway though. They did tell me to use the Cetaphil, three time per day but not for three hours before therapy. It is so greasy and it leaves a film. I hate it! It helps though. I also have a stick called The Healer, it is soothing. I know they have the audio and cctv, but my anxiety leads me to think of every possible and impossible scenario. It's quite terrible, but I get a good giggle at myself.
Posted By: David2 Re: Started IMRT today...going for 30 appts - 03-11-2014 04:23 PM
Katy, I was glad to read about the giggling. That's a good sign! I brought my own music and soon enough an audio book. Since I couldn't wear earbuds I plugged my iPod into small speakers that they let me balance on my stomach during the ride. It really got me through it since I was concentrating on the story.

When the burns got especially bad I used Silver Sulfadiazine. That also helped immensely.

As for the anxiety about them leaving you.... yeah, that's certainly there! But as Paul said, they're watching you on the monitor every second you're in there. If anything happens you can be sure someone would be at your side within seconds. I live in LA and was mainly worried about earthquakes! The mind goes to these things. Which is why I distracted myself with the book every day.

Good luck. I'm sure you'll get through it!
Posted By: Mamacita Re: Started IMRT today...going for 30 appts - 03-11-2014 06:29 PM
Katy, soon enough it will become routine and even a little boring!

I noticed that some masks had nostril or even full nose openings. I asked the techs to cut nostril openings in my mask and they were happy to accommodate. It helped me feel a bit less "pinned." I don't know if this can always be done, but you could ask if you think it might help you relax.

The weeks will fly by now -- you are on your way!

Lynn
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum