Posted By: CherylS Surgery over - 11-26-2013 05:30 PM
Hi,

Well, I was discharged from hospital today after surgery 18th November to remove half my tongue, use a flap from my arm to reconstruct and a neck dissection. Can't say it was the most pleasant of weeks and the food (a term I used very loosely) was atrocious. Thank goodness for Jelly and custard is all I can say - I've lived on it for the last 3 days along with build-up drinks. I can't begin to say how lovely it is to be home and the support of my daughter and sister has been stupendous. So I have a week now to practice my eating skills before going back to the head and neck clinic for the results of the neck dissection. Any suggestions on 'fork mashable' foods would be appreciated. X
Posted By: sandy1923 Re: Surgery over - 11-26-2013 08:04 PM
Hi Cheryl glad to hear your home. Keeping you in thoughts and prayers for a quick and speedy recovery. Eggs,quiches ( not the crust) potatoes, and my husband blends chicken in the blender....not the best ideas and I'm positive other members will provide you with more helpful tips. Best wishes Sandy
Ps Do keep smiling because with every new day it all gets easier.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surgery over - 11-26-2013 09:23 PM
yeah... so glad you are back!!! I know the surgery sucks... but at least at this point you are closer to cancer free (or possibly cancer free!!!!) that's a heavy sigh.

soft eggs with some cheese is good. Mashed potatoes, soft veggies, soup. with lots of nutrients - and put it in the blender if you are worried about bits of stuff. Omelets, pasta - small pastina's - I found stuff like omeletes, and raviolis was surprisingly easy to control cut it into smaller bites and chew on your good side and wash it down with the fluid of your choice... hugs and way to go.
Posted By: CWB Re: Surgery over - 11-26-2013 10:38 PM
Hope everything goes well. I liked the oatmeal and chocolate ensure. I don't know what it is about the ensure but it gives me a lot of energy.

Good luck and happy thanksgiving!
Posted By: n74tg Re: Surgery over - 11-27-2013 12:27 AM
Home just in time for Thanksgiving, I just hope you Limeys celebrate it. In all seriousness, congrats on getting home. I know you are a way happier camper now.

Even though I have no taste, soft scrambled eggs are good every day. And I can actually taste Ensure a little. And hot chocolate with lots of chocolate actually goes down pretty good.

take care
Tony
Posted By: tina77 Re: Surgery over - 11-27-2013 12:25 PM
I found that anything that could be cut into really small bits worked as long as I took small bites and chewed on the "good side. Be careful not to bite the flap. I did it a few times before realizing what it was that I was chewing on.

I started with a lot of smoothies (you can add skim milk powder for extra protein), soup and pasta (with lots of sauce). I tried the pureed meat idea, but it really grossed me out.

My fav is still potatoes au gratin, with cream and cheese. If I never eat another mashed potato I will be perfectly happy.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surgery over - 11-27-2013 06:01 PM
The good news with the flap is eventually the swelling goes down (radiation actually helps with this - shrinks tissue) My tongue fits rather nicely now though i would like to have it debulked a tad at some point. But I still don't feel comfy chewing on that side... it just feels ODD... hugs.
Posted By: CherylS Re: Surgery over - 11-28-2013 10:17 AM
Hi Everyone,

It's now a couple of days since I've been home and I'm now 10 days post op. The swelling of my tongue is going down everyday and my speech is becoming clearer. I'm starting to feel a little braver about chewing food - last night I tucked into salmon fillet, broccoli and mash and really enjoyed it although I chewed very carefully. I really hope the tingly feeling in my tongue goes soon - that feels very odd. I have found the worst part of it actually has nothing to do with re reconstruction or the neck dissection. Being so long on the operating table has caused me to have chronic back pain which means it is difficult to do everyday things - even getting dressed is a trial, plus I have a huge area on my back which has no feeling it. Has anyone else experienced anything like this?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Surgery over - 11-28-2013 12:38 PM
The weakness and numbness is likely due to the neck dissection. Many of us have issues with the side we have had that done. Many cant properly lift their arm on the surgery side.

Keep up the good work with relearning how to eat. It takes extra time when chewing carefully. Best wishes with your recovery.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Surgery over - 11-28-2013 01:08 PM
Congratulations on completing your surgery, and slowly recovering. The numbess from the neck dissection may go away, mine did, but have arm/shoulder raising limitstions, but I had 5 dissections, but also depends on the extent of the dissection, and what structures were removed, and there several types of dissections, Radical, Modified Radical, Selective, and a few others. Bilaterally, is rough, and usually not done at the same time, from what I heard, due to surgical risks, but have heard others having it done. You can ask your surgeon, and I like to get a copy of the surgical report, and pathology report, which is always good for your own records, future reference, and another doctor may ask.

Good luck.

Posted By: CherylS Re: Surgery over - 12-04-2013 09:13 PM
Hi,

Just a short update about what's going on at the moment. A mix up with my outpatient's appointment means I will not get my pathology results re lymph nodes from my neck until next Wednesday. Today I had an appointment with Plastics to review the skin graph and all is well there. They seem pleased with the way it has taken. They seem to think the dark purple colour is normal which is something of a relief. Now have to wait and hope for the best Christmas present ever 'clear lymph nodes'. Here's to keeping everything crossed X wink
Posted By: PattyElle Re: Surgery over - 12-04-2013 11:04 PM
Thanks for the update Chris.

I hope you get your Christmas present earlier in the way of good news.
Blessings"
Patty

Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surgery over - 12-05-2013 12:22 AM
Why would you wait? call your family dr and ask for the results!
Posted By: CherylS Re: Surgery over - 12-09-2013 12:52 AM
Can't sleep tonight - can't seem to switch off. I get my pathology results on Wednesday. I know Cheryld asked me why I would wait and why I didn't just get the results from my GP - I guess if I'm being honest it's for the simple reason that I'm scared and that while I don't have the results I can kid myself a bit longer that I'm cancer free and maybe I am... If I'm not however, it's the beginning of the next part of my treatment and I have to say that the thought of rads scares me probably more than the thought of surgery did. Don't get me wrong, I may be hiding from the truth for an extra week but I will face whatever I need to head on when I have to. But for tonight, the thoughts just won't stop. My neck seems to hurt tonight where the dissection wound is and the pillow seems to be too hard so I can't get comfortable; my arm where the skin graph is itches like hell and it's all I can do not to scratch. This has turned into something of a rant from someone who is feeling particularly sorry for herself tonight so while I'm at it I add one more thought. I am bloody sick of mash potato!!!
Posted By: KristenS Re: Surgery over - 12-09-2013 01:42 AM
Mashed sweet potatoes? With marshmallows or butter or brown sugar?

Sorry, couldn't resist. Although it actually makes me want dome. . .

I get my next results Wednesday too. Will think of you then. We can panic together.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surgery over - 12-09-2013 04:20 AM
Butternut squash. Potato salad. Egg salad. smile the only reason is suggested not to wait is it actually helps knowing if you're negative and clear the next few days will be more relaxed if you're facing treatment you would get a jump on it.. Hugs.
Posted By: CherylS Re: Surgery over - 12-11-2013 09:06 PM
I have just got home from my outpatient appointment. The news is very good. They got all the tumor and my lymph nodes are clear so no follow up treatment necessary. Monthly check-ups and scans for the next 2 years, then 2 monthly appoints for 2 years, then 6 month appointments in the fifth year. Figured I'd just get on with living my life and feel very grateful for being given this blessing.

Love and hugs to all smile smile

Cheryl
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Surgery over - 12-12-2013 03:46 AM
So awesome and soo glad to hear!!
Posted By: sophie theriault Numbness after neck dissection - 01-03-2014 02:48 AM
Hi Paul,

So there is hope? Numbness and strange tingling sensation can go away with time after a modifying radical neck dissection? Any luck with the tightness of the skin after fibrosis?

My husband just mentioned today that it feels like his neck is getting slightly tighter but it may be from all the stretching and neck exercises.

We had sushi tonight after his first day of radiation and he still has to cut the rolls in smaller pieces but really enjoys sushi more than any other food.

Thanks for the bit of hope, Sophie
Posted By: sophie theriault Re: Numbness after neck dissection - 01-03-2014 03:01 AM
So happy for you Sheryl S,

What great news and so much to be great-full for! Your joy is definitely palpable, cheers to you and your enthusiasm. So glad to hear you have loved ones to celebrate and be there with you through all of this. My mom helped us out a lot by cooking up all the carrots in our garden into a soup and making pasta, wild rice and sea food casserole to last us for months. She was also there for me when I was nursing him at his bedside. Its just as important to share the difficult times as it is to share the triumphs!

Sophie

Keep us up to date on your recovery process
Posted By: PaulB Re: Numbness after neck dissection - 01-03-2014 03:46 AM
There is always hope! I don't really have a problem with my neck or skin, but I do have some, minus three months post surgery, radiation. and just maybe ignore it, but the neuropathy is worse. I think exercising all my life may have helped me, currently nothing significant for 4 years really. I think my skin is naturally soft, elastic, the softest hands lol. so never had tightness, stretch marks, rough skin, even when I lost or gained 100 pounds on purpose, and last time it wasn't on purpose. Maybe see about physical therapy. I like sushi too, and small bites works here too!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum