Posted By: CWB Treatment update - 11-20-2013 05:50 PM
Everyone,

I have finished day three. Day one consisted of clinical trial testing, EKG and lots of blood draws. Pretty easy. Radiation was fast and easy. Fell asleep a couple of times. Day one also included chemo and being admitted over night.

Day two at around 1 am the effects of the chemo took hold and nausea set in. The nurses kept me pumped full of nausea medicine and fluids. Stomach was upset but I never vomited which was good. I ordered breakfast and had dry Cheerios along with plain oatmeal. Helped tremendously. Radiation went fine with no issues. I was still having some nausea issues so I stayed until 3:30 p.m. Before being discharged. Still had nausea issues but was able to eat some fruit and more cereal.

Day three I am feeling better. Slight nausea at times. Food still not appealing but I was able to eat more cereal, oatmeal, and drink some ensure. Walked back to my lodging after treatment. Walk felt good. Hopefully the weather will hold out and I can do it more.

It looks like the chemo is going to be the worse for me with the nausea. I will just have to feel it out and find which foods are going to be more appealing.

Only 30 to go 2 more chemo yeah!
Posted By: PaulB Re: Treatment update - 11-20-2013 07:00 PM
Thank you for the update. Keep knocking those days out. I kept a calendar, and X each day. Sometime they cut out the last chemo, depending on your blood levels, and hope they give you something for tje nausea, that works. Don't forget hydration to flush the kidneys, ask for IV infusion, if needed.

Keep up the good work.
Posted By: Hockeydad Re: Treatment update - 11-21-2013 10:28 AM
Hang in there Curt, its a long road, but its still one day at a time. Eating going to be an issue, it was for most, if not all of us. For me eating was just part of the treatment, just like rads, chemo, and meds. Eat and drink all day long. Keep a bottle of water with you and constantly sip it. Hydration is the best way to deal with cisplatin. Stay ahead of it because once you get behind, drinking becomes more difficult.
Posted By: David2 Re: Treatment update - 11-21-2013 04:43 PM
Ditto to the above, Curt. You're very courageous and it's a tough haul but I know you'll do it!
Posted By: CWB Re: Treatment update - 11-21-2013 09:13 PM
Day 4 done and still feel nauseated. I don't know how some of you continued to work. This evening the nausea seems to be tapering some so maybe tomorrow will be better. The good news is that I am one day closer to beating cancer!!!
Posted By: donfoo Re: Treatment update - 11-21-2013 10:05 PM
Exactly! Each day forward is one day closer to putting this thing in the kill bag and gone forever. Rough road ahead but positive attitude smooths the road a bit. Hang in there. don
Posted By: CWB Re: Treatment update - 01-01-2014 04:06 PM
Everyone,

I just finished my last chemo and feeling pretty good. I still have 6 rad treatments and then I will be done. The clinical trial I participated in really helped. No mouth sores and mucositis which has allowed me to eat solids. Still no taste but I can eat solids. I have managed to keep my weight up so unless something drastic would change no PEG. Now its time to finish and wait for the PET/CT scans saying I am clear. Not sure when that will be yet but I am hoping to celebrate In Cozumel on the beach when it does.
Once again I want to say thanks to everyone on this site your recommendations and inspirations have helped me through this. I hope everyone has a happy New Year and all your wishes for 2014 come true.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Treatment update - 01-01-2014 08:01 PM
Great news Curt. I am a tad surprised that your last of 3 chemos was administered a week before the last rad. Most have their last chemo the last day of radiation.
Posted By: n74tg Re: Treatment update - 01-01-2014 10:56 PM
With only 6 rad treatments left to go it looks like you're dodging most of the side effects, like I did.

Last week of rads is when the mucositis showed up for me, doctor said I had been incredibly lucky as most people get it by week two of rads. It would be great if you dodged it completely, but if you don't still consider yourself lucky. Here I am almost a week post treatment and still have it. Thank goodness for oral lidocaine gel and Ensure.

Your doing great, just keep on keeping on, it will be over soon enough, then the real healing can begin.

Tony
Posted By: donfoo Re: Treatment update - 01-02-2014 06:54 PM
Curt,
Thanks for the update. Always good to hear now folks are progressing. Sounds like your journey is going quite well. Unbelievable you kept all your weight on - tells a lot that you dodge many of the typical side effects.

Hang in there, Don
Posted By: sophie theriault Re: Treatment update - 01-03-2014 03:16 AM
Hi Curt,
I can't get over how brave and optimistic you are through such difficult treatments! Attitude really makes a world of difference, thank you for the updates on how you dealt with it all. What trial treatment helped to protect you mouth and throat from soars and mucus build up?

Best to you each and every day, Sophie
Posted By: CWB Re: Treatment update - 01-09-2014 12:56 PM
Everyone,

I am finally finished and now I have three month wait before I get the PET to see if I am clear. I have a feeling it is going to be a long wait. I am just ready to get on with my life. I guess for now I will focus on getting back in shape and getting some strength back. Illinois weather is terrible so I am going to have to look into renewing my YMCA membership. Feeling good now that I am done so we will see how the workouts go. I have heard horror stories where others were tired for months afterwards. Hoping to dodge that one if possible. Any suggestions?
Posted By: richl796 Re: Treatment update - 01-09-2014 04:08 PM
I am 9 weeks post treatment as of today. Fatigue was really an issue the first few weeks but has gotten dramatically better since. Instead of coming home from work everyday and napping for a few hours I only do it maybe one day a week now. Hang in there.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum