Posted By: ngk Mouth sores - 10-06-2013 10:38 PM
Next week starts week six and ive been very blessed with minimal symptoms. However today woke up with mouth sores frown I'm thankful tho bec they could have appeared earlier. I tried eating an avocado last night and wondering if that caused a reaction??? Or just coincidence? Ive been faithfully rinsing with baking soda and salt from the start. sometimes i use biotene, use the waterpik and rinse with manuka honey. So now I'm a bit afraid to try new things and wish I had not tried the avocado until after the few weeks post tx. (I have a PEG)
Thanks......
Posted By: PaulB Re: Mouth sores - 10-06-2013 11:09 PM
Anything is possible, but it's probably 100% likely that head and neck cancer patients will have mucostis, that can lead to inflammation, ulcers, fom radiation anyway. With ulcers, you have to be careful with bacteria entering the blood steam through them, so let the doctor know, and may be issued proper medication to treat, and can be associated with a bacterial, viral or a fungal infection. Also, be careful with hot, spices, sharp textured food that can irritate the mouth, cause cuts in the mouth. Do you have Magic Mouthwash to rinse with? I heard of some with good results to help prevent mucocitis with GelX. I used aloe vera juice to rinse with too, which helps in healing. I hope this helps.
Posted By: ngk Re: Mouth sores - 10-06-2013 11:38 PM
Thanks Paul, I do have the magic mouthwash and will talk to the dr tmw too.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Mouth sores - 10-07-2013 12:36 AM
Glutamine powder mxed with warer to rinse nse with too, swallow, helps repair tissue, and with neuropathy.
Posted By: ngk Re: Mouth sores - 10-07-2013 02:07 AM
Oh yes I did get the glutasolve. I can't swallow it tho, or the Manuka honey, if I do I will immediately vomit. But I will rinse tonight. Thanks for the suggestion. smile
Posted By: fishmanpa Re: Mouth sores - 10-07-2013 12:00 PM
As Paul mentioned, Glutamine works wonders as does Magic Mouthwash. I added the Glutamine to the baking soda and salt rinse.

I had a couple of different Magic Mouthwash formulas. One was a swish and spit and the the other was swish and swallow. Both had lidocane in it and really helped with mouth pain.

You've done incredibly well thus far. Just keep being pro-active with symptom control.

"T"
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Mouth sores - 10-07-2013 05:56 PM
Be careful of what you eat as your mouth will be very sensitive for a while because of the radiation. I was very sensitive to anything acidic, spicy or hot, and often they would cause mouth sores months after my treatment ended.

The advice from others regarding the various rinses do help, but check with your doctor first. Using a waterpik is a good idea, but keep the water pressure on low.
Posted By: ngk Re: Mouth sores - 10-07-2013 07:51 PM
Thanks T and Susan smile
Posted By: David2 Re: Mouth sores - 10-08-2013 04:05 PM
Nancy, the only way I was able to take nutrition (liquid) by mouth during radiation was by first holding a bunch of viscious lidocaine in my mouth for up to ten minutes. It helped... somewhat. No one mentioned magic mouthwash to me, but I have a feeling that between the lido and other other stuff I was swishing I was getting the same effect.

Oh and my RO told me emphatically to do everything I could to keep from vomiting, since the acids in the stomach could play havoc with the throat tissues damaged by radiation.

Hang in there!
Posted By: ngk Re: Mouth sores - 10-08-2013 10:43 PM
Thanks david. My mouth sores hurt for 2 days and today, they are still there , but don't hurt! I have no idea what the future holds, (i hope not pain) but I will keep what you suggested in mind. I did gargle will glutamine, wondering it that helped. Who knows, but I consider myself beyond blessed, and holding on tight that everything stays status quo... Or gets better. 4 more treatments to go...(and post tx weeks)
And thanks for the tip about not vomiting. After what my throat felt like the last time i did, i figured i was gonna avoid that at all cost. My RO doesn't tell me anything, and that's not an exaggeration. But he is supposed to be one of the top RO's in the west, so, thankful he set up the plan. I get all my info and support through OCF! Again, beyond blessed. I could not have made it without everyone here, smile
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Mouth sores - 10-09-2013 02:30 PM
Woot 4 more treatments... you can DO it... (said in a doofus SNL voice...) damn I think i just dated myself. have a good one. And so glad the mouth sores are behaving. wink
Posted By: sunderwood1111 Re: Mouth sores - 10-09-2013 10:00 PM
Magic mouthwash did little for the pain, If it were to have any benefit I had to eat super fast, there was no way that that was happening. But I too ngk was lucky that my mouth pain did not start until late in rads.

good luck with the remainder of your treatment! Shawn.
Posted By: ngk Re: Mouth sores - 10-13-2013 05:04 AM
Just saw the last of these posts, still so "slow" with following things, tech savvyless . One more rad to go and mouth sore comes and goes. rinsing with that glutasolve I got and not talking helps.
Posted By: n74tg Re: Mouth sores - 10-14-2013 10:34 AM
NGK:

Looking at your signature line, if you started rads on Sep 3, you should be about through now. I hope that's the case here.

You are about 2 months ahead of me, as my rads start in next week to 10 days.

Thanks for posting your TX journey to the forum, it's giving me ideas of what to expect and how to prepare.

In case I don't find it, where are all the magic mouthwash formulas everyone is using?

Good luck...Tony Gunn
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Mouth sores - 10-14-2013 12:34 PM
There are several versions of MM. The one my pharmacist made for me was benedryl, maylox and lidocaine. I suggest you ask your doc for the prescription now and then wait until you need it to fill it. Pay special attention to weather the directions are to swish and spit (like mine) or to swallow the MM.

Posted By: ngk Re: Mouth sores - 10-14-2013 11:34 PM
Yes tony...last day was today! And about the MM...what Christine said. smile Best wishes to you, I will be here watching your journey.
Posted By: JamesD Re: Mouth sores - 10-19-2013 12:21 AM
Nancy how are you doing 4 days out? This can be the dark days you hear about given the cumulative treatments.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum