Posted By: BruceF Starting Treatment Shortly - 08-08-2013 12:52 PM
8/8/13

Dentist discovered growth Soft Palet 3mmX3mm 7/16. Referred me to Oral Surg whom did Biopsy 7/24. Results 8/1 SCC of soft Palet. Some clear edges. Oral Surgeon recommended ENT and sent over results and pictures appoint 8/2. ENT recommended Radiation Treatment as he explained throughly cutting into soft palet can impact speech and swallowing. ENT Set up appointments for CAT SCAN on 8/6 and visit with RO on 8/7.

Yes have cancer but feeling a little better as to outlook. CAT Scan shows early Stage 1. Has not spread anywhere NODES are all clear. Had extensive discussion with RO and went over recommended treatment. Potential cure - Good. and what to expect. Treatment would be 5 days a week. for 6-7 weeks

Would like to find out a little more on Radiation Treatment. They gave me booklet from American Cancer Society but still would like to find out more info.

Thanks - this Forum is great with lots of great people.

Bruce F
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Starting Treatment Shortly - 08-08-2013 12:59 PM
Bruce,

IMO you need to take the biopsy results and get another opinion from a Comprehensive Cancer Center nearest you. I'm not suggesting that you have been given improper advice but if I were you I would want another opinion from a treatment facility that sees 1000's of people like you every year.

BTW how did they determine that your nodes are all clear? That would be impossible via a CAT scan and even a PET which I don't see you've had.
Posted By: BruceF Re: Starting Treatment Shortly - 08-08-2013 01:33 PM
David - Thanks for the info.

How do I find a Comprehensive Cancer Center near me for a Second Opinion. I live in Lancaster PA.

Thank you for your assistance

Bruce F

Posted By: fishmanpa Re: Starting Treatment Shortly - 08-08-2013 01:42 PM
Hi Bruce,

I agree with David.A 2nd opinion at a CCC is prudent.

Here's a link to the best in the nation.

Top Cancer Centers

U of P in Philadelphia is in the top 15 and Johns Hopkins (where I sought treatment) is in Baltimore.

Positive thoughts and prayers

"T"
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Starting Treatment Shortly - 08-08-2013 08:33 PM
Yes ditto - firstly most soft palette cancers are surgically excised first, this is because surgery actually has less of a long term impact than radiation then if need be they will radiate. People here who've had palette cancer occasionally have it reconstructed or an orburator placed - I think if its soft palette chances are it can be reconstructed. I would definitely go for a second opinion. Hugs.
Posted By: Mamacita Re: Starting Treatment Shortly - 08-08-2013 08:35 PM
Hi Bruce, welcome -- kudos to your dentist for picking up on the growth at this early stage, and to you for all the follow-up you've already orchestrated.

Like you, I'm post-surgery and figuring out the next phase of treatment. Different doctors have offered me widely varying options. Hearing their perspectives really gave me confidence when I found the right docs and right options for me. There are some big controversies in head and neck cancer treatment right now and you'll get the benefit of the latest thinking at major academic centers.

The folks on this board are an amazing resource for info and compassion, you're not alone --

Posted By: donfoo Re: Starting Treatment Shortly - 08-08-2013 10:15 PM
Hey,

Ditto to CherylD. I was thinking surgery would be first option based on what was described. Especially if early Stage 1, then it should be relatively straightforward to cut it out. Radiation is best left to more advanced and complex cases. Of course I could not get past high school chem so seek secondary professional opinions.
Posted By: PaulB Re: Starting Treatment Shortly - 08-09-2013 01:11 PM
I believe radiation is usually the first course of treatment for all stages of the soft palate, which is part of the oropharynx, and is integral in swallowing, although, based on stage, tumor size, chemo and surgery too. Radiation doesn't impact swallowing as much, and they never know how much is to be removed until the surgeon gets in there. It's always good to get a 2nd opinion. Sometimes it's better to delay radiation Tx cause once its given, it can't be taken back. Good luck.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Starting Treatment Shortly - 08-09-2013 02:19 PM
Bruce, welcome to OCF!

I have sent you a private message (PM) to help you with the forum and adding a signature. Please take a look towards to top of the page next to the My Stuff tab and click on the blinking envelope. Take some time to review the info. It helps us to help you when you have a signature.

Thank you and best wishes with everything!!
Posted By: BruceF Re: Starting Treatment Shortly - 08-09-2013 03:55 PM
Paul you are correct - according to Mayo Clinic Radiation is the number 1 Choice for early treatment.

This is directly from the Mayo Clinic - Because of difficulties in adequate reconstruction, radiation therapy has been the recommended treatment for soft palate cancers. Although advances in reconstructive techniques and prosthetic reconstruction have allowed for more effective surgical resection and rehabilitation for patients with soft palate cancers. Radiation therapy remains the primary treatment modality in many centers.

BruceF
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Starting Treatment Shortly - 08-09-2013 11:53 PM
Knowing what I know about rads and I had it easy - I would prefer the surgical option... But since I'm not an expert on palette cancer I will defer to those who are. smile
Posted By: Bart Re: Starting Treatment Shortly - 08-11-2013 06:55 PM
Once you have gotten advice from a CCC team, I'd be inclined to take the advice of that team; and I would not turn down any option because of concerns that it might be unpleasant.

Best of luck to Bruce!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum