Posted By: Katie B An aggressive tumor - 12-29-2012 01:41 AM
I had a ct scan after a biopsy which showed a recurrence of cancer 5 weeks post-op. The ct scan showed that there is a tumor roughly the size of a lime on the back of my tongue (in my throat) protruding into my neck. I still have post-op swelling from the neck dissection which I thought was normal but today the RO felt it and said he could feel the tumor by touching my neck. He said he and the ENT were shocked that it came back so quickly. That's not comforting to hear.

Further surgery at this point is pointless because I need the radiation and chemo to shrink it and kill whatever is floating around in that area. He has decided to up my dosage to 7000 and for more than 7 weeks of treatment. He and the MO decided to give me Paxol along with the Cisplatin for longer than 7 weeks as well.

This was all so hard to hear after my first chemo treatment today. I was so tired and nauseated. Then I hear the beatch is back to get me. I just have to keep that image of me in boxing gloves constantly fighting her until she's a bloody pulp of a shriveled tumor, never to return again. I'm going to survive!!!
Posted By: Uptown Re: An aggressive tumor - 12-29-2012 01:59 AM
So sorry to hear the news Katie but keep the gloves on for now...take them off if you have to! You are surviving!

Ed
Posted By: Kelly211 Re: An aggressive tumor - 12-29-2012 03:36 AM
Katie,

I had to start a new round of radiation 5 weeks from finishing 33 treatments of IMRT (it didn't get all the cancer). I know how disapointed you are and how tough this decision can be. We fight so hard to gain the upper hand on this disease and then have to get back in the ring so quickly.

I remember thinking "if I could just have a little more time out of treatment". Of course that's not in the cards so we put on the gloves and get back in the ring.

I'm 11 months out from that round with the beast and am still pulling clear PET scans so it was worth it. I hope you get good results from your latest efforts. Good Luck.
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: An aggressive tumor - 12-29-2012 02:38 PM
Katie

Sorry you are joining the recurrence club. Hang in there. You are getting a normal dose of radiation (7000 rads or 7000 cGY or 70 GY) similar to what most posters have had here, which is good, because once you get over 77 GY (or 7700 rads or 7700 cGY), the chance of necrosis goes up . Personally, the lower number of Gray (GY) seems less scary than the 100 times bigger number some radiologists use.(1 GY equals 100 rads or 100 cGY).
Good for you in having that visualization technique of the boxing gloves,Keep punching and you will beat this.
Charm
Posted By: David2 Re: An aggressive tumor - 12-29-2012 04:30 PM
Katie - think of us all as your corner men and women. You'll get through this!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: An aggressive tumor - 12-29-2012 04:42 PM
Katie, I am so very sorry to hear you are going thru so much in such a short time frame! This whole thing stinks!!!! Ive gone thru having oral cancer 3 times in 3 years so I know the emotions you are dealing with. Im very glad you have a positive fighting attitude. Im a firm believer that this really does help the patient (not sure if it has ever been scientifically proven or not).

On one of your other posts you were asking about some food ideas. here is a list of easy to eat foods. Many of these foods are soft and have a smoother texture which will make them easier to eat and swallow.

Easy to Eat Foods List

Please stick with us and we will help you get thru this. I will be happy to help you with any questions you may have. If you need any feeding tube tricks I even have a few of those too. Im very glad your sons are home with you for a while, Im sure its very comforting to have them home. My son was the very best while I was going thru treatments. He even joined OCF to give updates on my condition when I was stuck in the hospital for 2 months for my mandibulectomy. I still get teary whenever I go back and read his posts. Enjoy the time you have with your sons.

Best wishes with everything!!!

Posted By: PaulB Re: An aggressive tumor - 12-29-2012 06:37 PM
It's good the Docor'd recognized the tumor from the CT, and physical exam, and responded with a more agressive treatment. Good luck with your new treatment plan.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: An aggressive tumor - 01-04-2013 08:08 PM
So glad they caught it right away... Sounds like it might have been there all along but wasn't caught - regardless hopefully rads will do what it has to. Hugs and prayers to you!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum