Posted By: jimandwendy Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-04-2012 03:48 AM
Alot of people have written to me asking about my husband Jim and to update how he was doing. Im sorry it has taken me so long to update. Things have been nonstop and crazy here. After we found out the 1st clinical trial didnt work on his lungs,he was scheduled to start a different one on Nov 9th. A routine cat scan for the trial showed the cancer had spread to his brain. The clinical trial was postponed and Jim completed 2 weeks of brain radiation to stop the growth. We had a few days of hallucinating from the radiation but thankfully nothing serious. He then developed a fungal infection infection in his right lung and brain. Was hospitalized for a week to get that under control. Now we are having a problem keeping his hemoglobin levels at a safe range so we are having blood transfusions weekly and have started the second clinical trial as well. He has developed internal bleeding from the colon last week and a colonoscopy on Friday found 11 tumors in the bottom part of his colon. The doctors say that since it spread there so quickly and to such an extent that its safe to assume that its probably everywhere by now. Jim is very weak, cant keep any weight on, we started pain pills around the clock to stop the coughing since he is coughing up blood clots now. The doctors say he has blood clots on the brain so the estimated time they are giving him is any minute to up to 2 months. The red cross, his doctors and the military allowed our son to come home on emergency leave from afghanistan over thanksgiving to spend some time with his dad while he still could. this is a living nightmare. i could have never foreseen this and cant believe this is happening to us. All from stage 2 cancer on his left tonsil. its been almost 2 years since this all started. right now im just praying that Jim can make it through the holidays so we can enjoy him just a little bit more. thank you all for your concern and prayers for my husband. ill update when i can but right now i spend as much time with him as possible. i know its limited and i dont want to waste a minute of it.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-04-2012 04:08 AM
Wendy, I am so very sorry to hear about all of Jims struggles. He certainly has had a very difficult time! My heart goes out to you!

Best wishes to you both!
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-04-2012 09:53 AM
Wendy - I'm so sorry for all that Jim has had endure. I wish I had the words to be able to comfort you and your son that might ease the pain and sadness for all of you. I'm praying that there will be some peaceful moments that you can share with each other in the days ahead. Take care of you, too, Wendy and just get back to us whenever you can.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-05-2012 04:03 AM
I am so sorry. I know it's a nightmare - hugs and prefers to you.
Posted By: tina77 Re: Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-05-2012 06:04 AM
Wendy, there are no words that any of us can say to help you through this. It is so inadequate, but I am so sorry for you and Jim. My heart goes out to your family.
Posted By: KP5 Re: Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-05-2012 02:35 PM
Dear Wendy,
Thank you so much for taking the time to update. We have been praying and wondering how it was going but didn't want to be too intrusive.
I'm sorry things have continued to go downhill, and pray that these last months will be spent as peacefully as possible. As others have said, there are no words...
We all hate this cursed disease and share emotionally in your nightmare.
Hugs,
Kathy
Posted By: Ed H Re: Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-05-2012 11:03 PM
Jim and your family are in my prayers; I hope everyone may somehow find peace at this difficult time.
Posted By: samkl Re: Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-06-2012 04:06 AM
Wendy, you, Jim and your family have been in my thoughts all day. Linda. XX
Posted By: PaulB Re: Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-06-2012 04:14 AM
I'm very sorry to hear this, and my thoughts and prayers are with you, and your husband, Jim.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-06-2012 05:37 AM
Wendy, I�m really sorry to hear about Jim. I�m glad your son was able to get emergency leave to spend time with Jim. Hugs and prayers to you both.
Posted By: gmcraft Re: Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-06-2012 01:03 PM
Wendy,

Sorry to hear about Jim. both of you are in my thoughts.
Posted By: tamvonk Re: Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-07-2012 12:20 AM
Wendy,
Thinking of you and your family.
I hope you have lots of support from Hospice.

Tammy
Posted By: aimlee311 Re: Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-07-2012 02:12 AM
I'm so very sorry to hear this news, Wendy. Watching a loved one go through this is heartbreaking. I know you are doing everything you can; just be there for and with him, soak up every moment, and come back here for comfort and support when you are able. My thoughts are with you and your family.
Posted By: Ed H Re: Husband deteriorating, new updates - 12-08-2012 07:16 PM
Just hold him all you can. Our prayers and thoughts are with you.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum