Posted By: JoBu Short Update - 10-18-2011 07:20 PM
It has been a while since I first posted, but time does get by rather quickly.

I had my first week of chemo (Cisplatin, Taxotere and 4 days induction of 5-FU) a few weeks ago. The week of the chemo wasn�t terrible. I got twisted on my meds and was eating Finagrin like candy during the day to keep the nausea down and at the same time wondering why I was so tired. Figured that out after a day or so. Still had a certain level of nausea all the time that seemed to ramp up right about eating time. I usually ate all I could quickly and then I had to just walk away from it. Later the nausea would settle down and drop back to the normal level.

Each day (Tuesday � Friday) that I had the pump and 5-FU, I would get fluids which took me from 200 pounds to 208 pounds in two days!!! But by the end of the week I was back to 200 pounds. On Friday the pump came off and I could go about my business fairly well. I had to miss only a few hours of work due to the nausea, but overall it wasn�t as bad as I expected. Diarrhea was my constant companion but the Imodium AD at least made it bearable.

Last week, particularly on Wednesday I was still nauseated even with the meds. But come Thursday morning, it was like someone turned a switch�.i felt good, no nausea and very little diarrhea. I didn�t have to take any meds for anything. And since that Thursday, I�ve felt good and haven�t had any major issues.

However, yesterday my hair started to give it up. Even my beard hair is falling out. I guess though this means the chemo may be doing its job. Gonna be interesting to see me completely bald.

I start my second week of chemo next Monday and I�m hopeful the same pattern may be there: 10 days or so of not feeling too good then several days of feeling good. But we�re one week of chemo down and 2 more to go. Then comes then radiation mixed with a little chemo. Kinda dreading that�.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: Short Update - 10-19-2011 01:31 AM
You can do this... Bald isn't bad for a guy ... Less time required to style hair! smile seriously - pure doing well just keep plugging brought! Hugs and good luck!
Posted By: Cathi Carpenter Re: Short Update - 10-19-2011 02:48 AM
I was just thinking about you! Been without a computer for a few days and was able to use my friend's computer a little while I was checking in on her!! I had the same chemo induction that you're doing and only felt slightly nauseated after the first day! Be religious about taking the anti-nausea meds. Take them before you need them!! Most of my hair fell out after the first week, so I went a head and had it shaved! Good to hear from you! Keep us posted and send me a PM if you have any questions, or if I can help you in any way!!

Cathi
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum