Posted By: kellijojo 1st Rad Today - I Survived! - 08-16-2011 02:01 AM

Well, today was the first treatment...I got kind of hostile when I saw that they hadn't modified the mask to prevent my nose being smashed back into my brain (I had already asked them twice)...so I told them they could fix it or I could, and pulled out my nursing scissors (they easily cut a penny in half.) VICTORY TEAM KELLI!!!! They cut it back a little so it didn't hurt as much. I'll take the small victories.

The treatment lasted about 15 minutes (one down, 34 to go.) I didn't puke today, like I did last Wednesday for my PET scan, but I still cried....yeah, I'm a claustrophobic baby. They took my blood pressure after (why after?) and it was 128/78, which isn't really too bad until you realize that my baseline usually runs about 90/58. They gave me a script for an anti-anxiety med to try for tomorrows treatment. Hope it helps. Good news, my PET scan was clear...another small victory...I'll take it!

I will get my first chemo on Wednesday. Apparently it will be an all day extravaganza, from 9:30 am, until my radiation treatment at 3 pm. Yippee. Guess I'll pack a lunch and bring my pillow. Actually, I have an 11 am appointment with one of the hospital attorneys. I guess I was a participant on a surgery (a year ago) which is being litigated. I checked the computer...I actually only scrubbed in on the case to give a dinner break (30 minutes.) I'm sorry, but I can't remember what I did last week...much less a year ago, for 30 minutes!!! So I will be traveling to Risk Management Department, to talk with an attorney, with my chemo bag on an IV pole. Sheesh!

I'll let you all know Wednesday how it goes...the attorney, the chemo and the rads....and whether or not the Ativan helps with the phobia.

Posted By: ngk Re: 1st Rad Today - I Survived! - 08-16-2011 02:20 AM
will be thinking about you kelli! and will be checking on you here in the forum. : )
Posted By: Anne-Marie Re: 1st Rad Today - I Survived! - 08-16-2011 10:31 AM
Good for Team Kelli! Hope everything goes well today! Let us know how it goes!
Posted By: davidcpa Re: 1st Rad Today - I Survived! - 08-16-2011 12:16 PM
Can't see how you will make an 11 am appt with the atty with chemo at 9:30 unless the atty will be visiting you.

Good luck. All of us that had the concurrent chemo/rad know chemo days are long ones!
Posted By: EricS Re: 1st Rad Today - I Survived! - 08-16-2011 12:44 PM
As the late 2Pac would say if he were here (and not in New Zealand apparently...) Keep ya head up smile
Posted By: Bob Whyte Re: 1st Rad Today - I Survived! - 08-17-2011 12:32 AM
Good luck and best wishes on your future battles in this war!! Semper-Fi Bob
Posted By: ngk Re: 1st Rad Today - I Survived! - 08-18-2011 02:25 AM
hi kelli, just wanted to let you know i've been thinking of you today as i remembered it was your first day of chemo.
Posted By: kellijojo Re: 1st Rad Today - I Survived! - 08-18-2011 10:05 PM
My third rad and my 1st chemo went better than anticipated. I have a fan that they blow on my face/mask during rads and it really seems to help with the claustrophobia....I'm sure the Ativan helps a little. No crying since Monday, and the hyperventilating doesn't seem as bad either. Can't believe how much the fan helps!

The chemo was totally uneventful. I got to the deposition (with my chemo running,) which lasted 2 full hours! Apparently, the attorney was far more impressed with my knowledge of surgical anatomy and surgical team work, than the assistant who did the lion's share of the case. He seems to think I will make a better impression, should the case go to trial. Yippee. I ran into a lot of my co-workers while I was at the hospital all day. It was nice to see them. They say they miss me and they're praying for me.

It looks like I am getting a faint redness on my neck. I have an aloe cream to apply (will do as soon as I'm done here.) I think the Dexamethasone from yesterday has made me shaky today. I have a script for Zofran, which I took last night, but probably didn't need, as I really didn't have any nausea.

Mom sees the RO tomorrow to get the results of her PET scan for her lung cancer. I'm not feeling very optimistic, simply because her symptoms have returned with a vengeance (wheezing, fatigue, shortness of breath.) I plan to take her so I can translate for her (Indian doctor to non-medically oriented patient.) If ya'll could spare some prayers for my mom....I'd be really grateful.

Kelli Jo
Posted By: Maria Re: 1st Rad Today - I Survived! - 08-18-2011 10:18 PM
"He seems to think I will make a better impression, should the case go to trial." Well, duh, of course you'll make a fabulous impression. Breezing through a 2 hour deposition with the chemo running is .... pretty impressive.

My best wishes to your mom with her appointment. I know that she will be happy to have you at her side.
Posted By: ngk Re: 1st Rad Today - I Survived! - 08-19-2011 04:04 AM
hi kelli jo,
so very glad to see things went well. will absolutely say a pray for your mom. have plenty to spare, wink.
Posted By: Cheryld Re: 1st Rad Today - I Survived! - 08-19-2011 04:51 PM
Hey there glad you are fighting your way through this!!! I knew you could do it! Sometimes we don't realize how incredibly strong we are. Saying prayers for your mom. Hugs and take care!
Posted By: Michelle Ann Re: 1st Rad Today - I Survived! - 08-19-2011 11:48 PM
Hey there Kelli Jo: I started following your posts. I am a few months ahead of you (ended TX March 21). I wish you all the best. You sound like you have a great attitude and a good sense of humor. Wishing you all the best, Michelle
Posted By: Caco Re: 1st Rad Today - I Survived! - 08-31-2011 01:27 AM
hope the ativan works for you. fwiw, my Dad is at the point in treatment that he enjoys rads and he SLEEPS, crazy but true.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum