Posted By: plantgirl Finally feel better - 12-02-2010 01:06 AM
I am finally feeling like myself after having surgery late in October for the cancer in my mouth and the 2 lymph nodes. I am getting my strength and taste back. But...Friday I have to have 6 teeth pulled on the left side to prepare for the 6 weeks of radiation I start on Monday. I feel a little hopeless like Im never going to be myself again.How long after the radiation treatments will I feel good again?
Posted By: minniemoo066 Re: Finally feel better - 12-02-2010 07:02 AM
Hi Plantgirl,

You are having your teeth out on Fri and start radiation on Mon? My understanding is that you need about 3 weeks in between so that the wound can heal before radiation starts. Please check with your Radiation oncologist and your dentist to clarify.

Radiation is CRAP plantgirl but everyone of us made it through and come out ok. Everyone is different with their recovery rate. I started to feel better about 3-4week after radiation finish. I'm now 3 months post treatment and i have to say that i feel good most days. You will get there too, just be patient. Good luck with your treatment.

Minh
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Finally feel better - 12-02-2010 01:36 PM
I can't believe they are going to start the rad so soon after pulling your teeth. I would call today and make sure the RO knows about the teeth extractions.

Re the recovery...yes we all can recovery at different speeds and in different ways but in general we find that you should be prepared for a very slow recovery period lasting every bit of 1 to 2 years and that doesn't mean that you will recovery to 100% pre treatment because the chances are high that you will recovery to what we call a new normal. Stick with this site as it will prove to be one very valuable asset in your treatment and recovery. I guarantee it!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum