Posted By: SuzBene Keeping chemo port dry while showering - 11-17-2010 03:33 PM
My husband just got a port inserted into his upper chest so that he can start chemo. How does he keep it dry in the shower -- any suggestions?

Thanks!
Suzanne
Caregiver
Posted By: debandbill Re: Keeping chemo port dry while showering - 11-17-2010 04:21 PM
Suzanne,

I think because Bill had both a PEG and his port placed at the same time that he did spritz baths for a couple days until we got the all clear and then I would tape saran wrap over his wounds so he could shower. It won't be long and he will be able to shower without covering it..just needs to wait for some healing.
Posted By: SuzBene Re: Keeping chemo port dry while showering - 11-17-2010 06:41 PM
Thanks, Deb, they didn't say anything in the hospital about after-care -- I guess they expect you to figure it out and you helped us do that!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Keeping chemo port dry while showering - 11-17-2010 10:01 PM
A port should be under the skin. After a couple days, it should be ok to shower with that. I had one for over a year and took showers just fine. Could you be referring to a Picc line? Ive had one of those also. For that it would be ok to shower if you wrap the area in glad press and seal.
Posted By: SuzBene Re: Keeping chemo port dry while showering - 11-18-2010 04:00 PM
Thanks, Christine,
Do you mean Saran Wrap or is this a specific product (Glad press and seal -- does it actually seal against the skin)?
Suzanne
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Keeping chemo port dry while showering - 11-18-2010 04:34 PM
You need the kind that Glad makes. Its called Press and Seal. Its different than saran wrap or any other cling wrap.
Posted By: SuzBene Re: Keeping chemo port dry while showering - 11-18-2010 06:36 PM
Thanks so much for the reply. We will look for it at the market (in Los Angeles).
Suzanne
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum