Posted By: susand More than half way there - 08-14-2010 01:54 AM
Ok/have done 19/35 of my radiation treatments and have completed 4/5 of my chemo treatments. Have no taste, little appetite, but fortunately no major pain in throat or mouth. I know the next 3 weeks (and several weeks after treatment) will be the roughest. What should I expect? At what point did you need to use the peg tube as the primary method of supplying nutrition?
Posted By: ChristineB Re: More than half way there - 08-14-2010 12:15 PM
Susan, you are doing GREAT!!!!! Keep pushing the nutrition and fluids. Go for minimum 2500 calories and 48oz water daily. I was using the peg from about the 2nd week. You may be one of the lucky few who will sail thru this easily. The last couple weeks are the hardest and so is the first 2 after you finish. The fatigue sets in and swallowing becomes very difficult are a couple common problems. Keep up the good work and it will be over very soon.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: More than half way there - 08-14-2010 12:39 PM
Susan,

As we each can respond differently I hope you see "nothin but blue sky's" so IF you start experiencing some bad stuff then ask what to do but for now just keep doing what you have been.
Posted By: David2 Re: More than half way there - 08-14-2010 08:09 PM
Good for you, Susan. Keep up the great work. It's going to get tougher for awhile.... but soon enough things will improve. The fact that you're more than halfway through and you don't have mouth and throat pain is fantastic news.

Courage!
David #2
Posted By: susand Re: More than half way there - 08-15-2010 10:38 AM
Thanks, David. Perhaps it is the clinical trial that they are running at Hopkins.
Posted By: EllEll Re: More than half way there - 08-17-2010 09:06 PM
I did radiation and chemo also but I never had a feeding tube. Scrambled eggs and oatmeal became my friends. When I didn't feel like eating I drank Ensure, Boost, Special K Protein, Carnation Instant Breakfast and my husband made lots of shakes for me to keep my weight up. Sometimes I had to sit at the table for awhile to get enough food down but I did it. I was determined not to have to have the feeding tube. Just remember you WILL make it through and come out on the other side. Hang in there!
Posted By: Seda Bug Re: More than half way there - 08-17-2010 09:32 PM
Seems like yesterday I was doing my count down of radiation treatments and now it has been over for almost 4 months. I had a very difficult time from the 3rd week spent 21 days in hospital but treatments 19-24 were a breeze. Just take it day by day and it will be over before you know it. Hang in there.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum