Posted By: TomT Coughing up blood - 06-12-2010 10:48 PM
Hello, will try to make this a quick question. For about the last two weeks, Pam has been coughing up dark red phlegm. For quite a while she has had phlegm to cough out about once a day or so, about a week ago she told me that she thought what she was now coughing up was blood. Seems like it is mostly red as opposed to phlegm with blood streaks. Sorry for the gross description but almost looks like a blood clot or like what you can sometimes blow out after a bloody nose. Last few days seems like it is getting more often (several times a day).

We plan on calling the clinic Monday but wondering if anyone else has had this problem. Blood counts have been good the last several weeks at chemo.

Thanks,
Posted By: EricS Re: Coughing up blood - 06-13-2010 01:03 AM
Tom,

It could be a number of things really so Pam really needs to go in and get checked out.

I had a few episodes where I had a really dark, coagulated blood coming from the area around my main tumor in my mouth that was just horrible..but it doesn't sound like this is the case, so make sure to get her in as soon as possible.
Posted By: EzJim Re: Coughing up blood - 06-14-2010 07:25 PM
Has she had any procedured where they might have taken tissue ? I know this is scary for both of you. We all pray she is OK.
Posted By: Shelley K Re: Coughing up blood - 06-15-2010 08:16 PM
I don't have anything relevant to add Tom other than I pray she is OK. You two have been on my mind lately because we haven't heard anything from you. No news is good news, so I was hopeful she was doing pretty good and you are enjoying life. Hope that's the case.

Hugs,

Shelley
Posted By: TomT Re: Coughing up blood - 06-22-2010 03:52 AM
Hi, thank you for the thoughts and input.

We did get the results back from Friday's PET/CT. Six weeks ago the Erbitux had not only slowed the growth but had shrunk some of the tumors. This time not so good, some significant growth and activity. They feel the cancer in the left lung is causing some bleeding and the best treatment is to hit it with radiation. She goes for the simulation tomorrow and start treatment in a couple of days. Over the weekend she has some trouble catching her breath and is saying that pain in her shoulder is bothering her (another area that grew on this scan).

Any experiences with radiation to the lungs (how hard is it on her compared to the neck/mouth, real life side effects to look for, etc., any success stories?).

Thanks, Tom
Posted By: walknlite Re: Coughing up blood - 06-23-2010 04:21 AM
I am so sorry. I will be praying for you and Pam.
Posted By: TomT Re: Coughing up blood - 06-27-2010 05:31 AM
Hi folks, think I need to ask for a few prayers. Friday Pam was admitted to the ICU with difficulty breathing. She had received her first radiation to her lungs on Thursday and woke up Friday with chest pain and shortness of breath with any activity. Long story made short, Friday went from radiation clinic to ER to ICU. As of Friday night they hadn't found liquids or a blood clot in her lungs. She had some trouble Friday night/Saturday morning, they performed some type of a bronchial procedure and scoped her lungs out. Found a blood clot in her left lung that they removed, then found another larger blood clot a little further completely blocking the airway to her left lung. They did not want to touch it for fear that the clot was preventing active bleeding. After discussions with a surgeon, her tumor is growing t0o close and around main arteries to surgically remove and I believe they said it was too risky to try to cautorize around the tumor. They feel that either her tumor has been growing fast the last couple of weeks or that the radiation on Thursday caused her lung to swell causing more bleeding around the tumor. Hopefully will hear of some plan or alternate tomorrow otherwise it almost sounds like a wait and see situation. Think they said that if the swelling in her lung would go down then they may be able to blast the tumor again with radiation.

At this point it sounds like it is in God's hands. As late as last week was told they thought Pam would have good health for another 4-6 months. Wasn't quite as prepared for what may be coming.

Thanks for letting me babble on.

Tom
Posted By: RPCV Re: Coughing up blood - 06-27-2010 07:11 AM
Tom,

I am so sorry to hear this latest news. I hope Pam is comfortable and not in pain. May tomorrow bring new hope. Please stay strong and take care of yourself. You are Pam's "Rock", and I know your love will carry both of you through this.

My thoughts will be with you both.
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Coughing up blood - 06-27-2010 01:01 PM
Tom, Ive been following Pam's story you have written since you joined. Im very sorry to read of her latest downturn. Sending lots of prayers your way.
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Coughing up blood - 06-28-2010 03:29 AM
Tom,

Sorry to hear the latest news. I will keep Pam and you in my prayers.
Posted By: slim Re: Coughing up blood - 06-28-2010 05:43 PM
Tom, I'm so sorry to hear about Pam. I will continue to keep Pam and your entire family in my prayers. I also pray they are able to control her pain and help her breathe easier.
Posted By: Shelley K Re: Coughing up blood - 06-28-2010 06:53 PM
Oh Tom, I am so sorry to hear about this latest development. You, Pam, and all of your family are in my prayers. Feel free to vent/talk here as much as you want. That's why we're here. I sure hope those Doctors come up with a good plan for her. Keep us updated as you can OK?

Hugs,

Shelley
Posted By: misskate Re: Coughing up blood - 06-29-2010 12:24 AM
Hi Tom- Will pray for you and Pam. I hope that she stabilizes so you can have the most time together tat you can. Hopefully it was just the effects of the radiation treatments she recently had.

Hoping she heals up and gets to go home soon.

Sending you lots of strength Tom.

K
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum