Posted By: ratface Low white blood count-got sent home - 09-11-2009 04:43 PM
Showed up today for ny third chemo regime and was told my white blood count was too low and to come back on Monday. Is this a common thing and how many of you have been rescheduled due to low blood counts?
Posted By: slim Re: Low white blood count-got sent home - 09-11-2009 05:10 PM
My husband had weekly Cisplatin for 7 weeks. This also happened to him around week 6, his white count was 1.3. They gave him a shot to boost the white blood count and had him wait 2 weeks and then made them up at the end. Keep an eye on your temp. We were told if it goes 100 to call immediately and to stay away from anyone who could possibly be sick and to avoid public places where you don't know who is sick. Good luck. John will be 5 months out of treatment next Tuesday and his blood work they did a couple of weeks ago was the first time that his WBC was "normal". It is still low but within "normal" range.
Posted By: SandySt. Re: Low white blood count-got sent home - 09-11-2009 09:31 PM
John:
During my chemo, I was given a Neulasta shot weekly to keep my white blook count high. I was given chemo separate from radiation so I'm not sure about the 2 week wait to resume radiation. Treatment is tough enough without all the delays so I'd ask you doctor about it. Good Luck.

Sandyst
Posted By: ratface Re: Low white blood count-got sent home - 09-15-2009 12:52 PM
Updating. Told to go home on a Friday and by Monday morning the WBC had almost doubled.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum