Posted By: Linda Rose Tongue reconstruction - how functional? - 08-22-2009 03:42 PM
Hi, Group, I'm headed for a total glossectomy in Pittsburgh on Tuesday, and scheduled for reconstruction the same day. How many of you have reconstructions that function? I have heard of a friend of a friend who could speak after this, which was encouraging, but my direct question to the doc received a "fuzzy" reply - something about a woman last week that he could ALMOST understand... So, while I've been trying to avoid this site to calm myself, I think I need now to tap into all or you who may have had this done for feedback as to outcome. May I? Thanks for your help.

And, please don't chastise me if this has been covered before -I just can't bear wading thought the thousands of responses to "tongue."

Will I ever sing again?
Posted By: Dr. Mike Re: Tongue reconstruction - how functional? - 08-25-2009 12:48 AM
Linda Rose,
I would have to say without a doubt in my mind that, yes, you will sing again.
I have never heard you sing and that does not matter in the least. Every patient who goes through what you are about to will experience many changes in their voice, some positive some negative. If you want to overcome the reconstruction you will. Will a recording sound the same..probably not..does that matter...no.
Singing, in fact, may strengthen and help healing if it is approached in the same manner that an athelete who sprains or breaks an ankle approaches rehabilitation. So talk to your docs and when you feel ready sing!!
If for nothing else it will certainly make you feel better.
Cheers,
Mike
Posted By: Pete D Re: Tongue reconstruction - how functional? - 08-26-2009 12:02 AM
The problem with a total glossectomy is that the muscles that push the front of the tongue around are removed, unlike a partial glossectomy where the muscles can still push the faux tongue around to form sounds and swallow.

A lot will depend on how much scarring you have from the surgeries. In my case, with two surgeries and the radiation, my throat is very restricted and my speech is nowhere near clear (Still have my trach tube).
Posted By: Linda Rose Re: Tongue reconstruction - how functional? - 09-04-2009 07:33 PM
Thank you both for your replies. I got home yesterday, and feel like I'm holding a porcupine in my mouth.

Am grateful that they were able to remove the trach & feeding tubes yesterday too. Some words but too much swelling yet.

Linda
Posted By: Karen Rose Re: Tongue reconstruction - how functional? - 09-05-2009 02:27 AM
Linda

So pleased to read that you are home and the surgery is now behind you. You must be making progress if they were able to remove the feeding tube this soon after having a total glossectomy - wow that is great news.

Are there any plans for radiotherapy and/or chemotherapy?

Take care

Karen
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum