Posted By: nancys2 trying to educate myself - 08-13-2009 04:08 PM
I am clueless about hyperbaric treatments and what they are used for. Also, why do some individuals have teeth removed. What type of cancer requires this? I'm trying to learn as much as I can about this so i'll be prepared.
Thanks for any insights.
nancy
Posted By: Pete D Re: trying to educate myself - 08-13-2009 09:23 PM

http://www.oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/hyperbaric.htm
Posted By: davidcpa Re: trying to educate myself - 08-13-2009 09:30 PM
Try these 2 references right here on the OFC site.

www.oralcancerfoundation.org/dental/hyperbaric.htm

www.oralcancerfoundation.org/treatment/osteoradionecrosis.html

Used to be pretty standard for a patient to have their teeth pulled pre radiation but now with the damage of radiation limited with IMRT, unless the teeth are really bad to begin with or perhaps the radiation field will concentrate on the teeth, most RO's prefer to leave them in and boost their health by using Fluoride trays pre, during and post Tx. Most, if not all CCC's will give you the option of seeing their on staff dentist who is familiar with post radiation Tx side effects.
Posted By: Bonniey Re: trying to educate myself - 08-13-2009 10:13 PM
Nancy,

Some individuals have their teeth removed as well as bone if the cancer has invaded the bone, then it all has to be removed.

Bonnie
Posted By: ChristineB Re: trying to educate myself - 08-14-2009 10:26 AM
Nancy

I had a few teeth removed prior to the start of my radiation and chemo treatments. My teeth afterwards were very loose and became so crooked. I had problems eating, even talking with my teeth in such bad condition. Due to so my dental problems, I had my teeth removed with the 20 HBO before and 10 after. It prevents ostioradionecrosis (sp).

I had 50 HBO way before anything to do with my teeth. After my second round of OC, I wasnt healing. I had a piece of my cheek removed about the size of a quarter. My doc had me do HBO to help me recover.

It really works. I was no longer anemic, fatigued, and my arthritis was cured. Do some research about HBO and you will find it has many uses. I ended up having tubes put in my ears since I had so much trouble clearing my ears due to trismus. It takes up alot of time, I was in the tank 2 hrs per day. For me, HBO was a miracle. (everybody is different, its not an alternative cure but is necessary for post radiation dental extractions)
Posted By: EzJim Re: trying to educate myself - 08-15-2009 04:03 PM
The HBO supposedly will make new blood vessels grow in your system. My teeth were removerd because of the agressive way I was treated and for implants. The Dr that is going to do the HBO treatments said he might just add 10 treatments. That will be a total of 40. and many, many miles. As long as he's happy, I am.
Posted By: nancys2 Re: trying to educate myself - 08-15-2009 06:59 PM
Thank you to everybody who responded about HBO and teeth extraction. I'm learning more every day about this nasty disease and it's treatments and side effects.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum