Posted By: NancH Intrathecal pump for pain meds - 07-16-2009 09:20 PM
My husband Steve with advanced tongue cancer is scheduled for a procedure Monday...intrathecal device which will allow meds thru spinal fluid...any thoughts? anyone have knowledge of this? Steve wants quality with last months of life
Thanks Nancy
Posted By: Lostpassword Re: Intrathecal pump for pain meds - 07-17-2009 01:55 AM
HI Nancy -
I don't think I have ever read about that procedure in here, but I know someone will chime in. Are you at Mayo? My husband and I are from Winona, originally, now living in Florida. I am sorry you have had to relive this over and over, and I pray that this treatment will help him in any way possible. JaneP
Posted By: mgmichael Re: Intrathecal pump for pain meds - 07-17-2009 05:40 AM
Yes, the place where I work has a number of patients w/chronic pain who have pain pumps implanted. Typically these are used for intractable back pain, etc (non-cancer) but they can be used for people who have cancer-related pain who still have some time and may do better with meds that are delivered into the intrathecal space (in the spine). Side effects tend to be much lower b/c the dosing can be so much lower with more consistent effect. The med is typically programmed for a constant rate so the blood levels don't rise and fall as they do with oral meds. Best of luck to you with that if it's something you decide to do. If I can answer more questions, just ask.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum