Posted By: EzJim Sneezing - 07-04-2009 08:28 AM
I have a question for everyone, Ho many lost the ability to sneeze for a lot of months? My being able to sneeze is just returning. I really didn't pay attention to losing it until it has started to return. Has any one else experienced this loss??
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Sneezing - 07-04-2009 01:36 PM
Never heard of that one Jim but if anyone could have that as a side effect it might as well be you since you get everything. lol
Posted By: Jenka Re: Sneezing - 07-04-2009 02:14 PM
For me, it was so incredibly painful to sneeze, and still hurts, two months post-treatment, that I try to stifle it every time. But other than that, I had no problems, nor was told to anticipate any.
Posted By: suzanne98 Re: Sneezing - 07-04-2009 03:30 PM
Oh yeah....sneezing was SO PAINFUL for me. My treatment was very different from your Jim, but I didn't lose the ability.
Posted By: Gary Re: Sneezing - 07-04-2009 08:33 PM
This topic sure brought back some unpleasant memories. I had to take breakthrough meds after I sneezed late and early post Tx. Even yawning was very painful at times.
Posted By: Jenka Re: Sneezing - 07-04-2009 10:06 PM
Yawning is VERY painful. The doctors say to exercise the jaw by opening it wide, but that doesn't hurt at all. Yawning process is different somehow. I am longing for the day when I can finally let out a satisfying yawn.
Posted By: AmyK Re: Sneezing - 07-04-2009 10:19 PM
Yawning is surely the work of the devil. I go through about two yawning fits a day. I think it is different because you really lack control over a yawn. You are at it's mercy, were the stretching excerices, your in control. I have been almost brought to my knees by a strong yawn.
Sneezing use to hurt my jaw/mouth area. Those parts must have healed as now a sneeze while standing just makes my back scream like the old days.
Amy
Posted By: EzJim Re: Sneezing - 07-04-2009 11:17 PM
When I yawn which is often, My throat feels like it has frozen it time. Damn it hurts.Right in the dissection area.It locked up pretty good yesterday. You all know my mouth gets it's workout LOL Daily too.
Posted By: Sone Re: Sneezing - 07-05-2009 09:19 PM
Hi Jim, I can't sneeze either! I just thought it was my crazy nose or something, I didn't think about it being caused by the cancer/treatment!

I go Ahh...Ahh... and then no Chooo! It drives me crazy. I have to sneeze really badly, but I can't get it out. No matter how much I need to sneeze, always just the Ahh...Ahh... part.

I can't yawn either. I told my husband to stop yawning in front of me because then I want to yawn too, but I can't. Oh what a day it will be when I can let out a satisfying sneeze and yawn!

One more quirky thing--I get the hiccups every day now. I never got them before the radiation, but now get them constantly. Sometimes several times a day. Anyone have that?

Sone
Posted By: EzJim Re: Sneezing - 07-05-2009 11:09 PM
I am so glad you posted this Sone LOL I believe they thought I lost the clapper out of my bell. I had the hiccups too but they left the constant stage not long ago and are infrequent now. I know exaclty what you feel like. hey Hubby. cut her a break and yawn outside LOL Have a good day you 2.
Posted By: Gary Re: Sneezing - 07-06-2009 07:22 AM
Oh God! I had the hiccups so BAD! They were intractable. Not sure what caused it and I tried every drug known to man to stop it. I think it was a combination of muscle relaxers, narcotics , antiacids and steroids that finally gave me some releif. It was really wierd too - it would actually stop when I would eat - then pick up where it left off when I was done. It went on for weeks. I couldn't get any real rest or sleep - even with sleeping meds. It was hell...

The good news is I don't have them now.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum