Posted By: stumble Nimotuzumab anybody? - 06-27-2009 06:00 PM
My husband was prescribed Erbitux, but research brought me to Nimotuzumab. It sounds much gentler. No rash.

We go to the Tampa FL Veterans hospital and my research also found:

Curing Cancer Takes Heart - or Heart Hormones, Maybe
"The world of medical research is taking growing notice of Vesely's discoveries, made in a maze of small, crowded labs at the James A. Haley VA Medical Center. The widowed father of five, whose wife died of breast cancer in 2002, has big, seemingly impossible hopes that four hormones manufactured by the heart may one day save millions of lives."
Posted By: mhupe Re: Nimotuzumab anybody? - 06-27-2009 08:29 PM
I went to the Nimotuzumab site, it doesn't appear that it is approved for use in the US. Erbitux wasn't a picnic, but I do think it was easier (nausea-wise) than Cisplatin. Have you spoken to your doctor about Nimotuzumab? Are there clinical trials that your husband qualifies for with this drug?
Posted By: EzJim Re: Nimotuzumab anybody? - 06-27-2009 11:52 PM
As long as some idiots don't start saying the heart hormones are the same as stem cell research and try to create trouble just to get their names in the news like most loud mouths do.
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: Nimotuzumab anybody? - 06-28-2009 01:15 AM
Stumble,

The rash should be fairly easily treated. I took antibiotics which cleared it up quite well. The thing I had to be most careful of was the skin on my hands and feet splitting, which could have gotten infected. Thorough hand washing and good moisturizing lotion helped a lot with that.

- Margaret
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum