Posted By: caanjo Peg Tube removal - 06-19-2009 05:47 PM
My husband is scheduled to have his PEG tube removed next Friday. What can we expect- any pain? We have an appointment for a "tasting" for my daughter's wedding reception that night, should he be ok to attend (albeit eating soft food...)
Thanks for sharing your experience and feedback.
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: Peg Tube removal - 06-19-2009 06:42 PM
The removal is very quick!! Pain, yes but for a few minutes. The most important is keeping area clean while it finishes healing. you will be so happy not to have that attachment anymore!!

Go to Wedding Reception and have a nice time!! grin
Take care and enjoy!!

Diane
Posted By: peace4uall Re: Peg Tube removal - 06-19-2009 07:40 PM
Hello
A big tug when it come out but over very quick(thank goodness)
I did fine until the middle of the night. I woke up in pain, but
took something for the pain and went back to sleep. A little sore,
but OK in the morning.
I ate what I wanted. I have heard you should stay away from carbonated drinks for a few days, but I only drink water so
I cannot say with any real knowledge. I do not know about wine,
it should be OK I would think. Surely your doctor could advise you.
(Well, sometimes they can, I should say-some of mine not too helpful)
Maybe others will answer you also. I know I was totally stressed
the day of.
Debbie
Posted By: EricS Re: Peg Tube removal - 06-22-2009 07:11 AM
My PEG actually fell out in the shower when I was recovering from my neck dissection,mandiblectomy,fibular free flap surgery last year. I didn't feel a thing when it came out and was shocked to see it laying on the shower bench. It hurt like hell when they put it back in without a local or general, I'm still bitter about that, mostly because I couldn't scream as I had my jaw wired shut.

I had it permanently (hopefully) removed a few weeks ago under general anesthesia during a different surgery so I didn't feel a thing. The spot has been sore though and I feel strange not having it as a backup...but it's definetly better not to have it.

hope that helps, probably not though

Eric
Posted By: William1949 Re: Peg Tube removal - 06-22-2009 01:38 PM
Awesome that it's coming out! My doctor was excited to yank it out as it meant you were on the road to recovery. Just feels like a bee sting and over in a second. He'll be fine to attend the event. Congrats.
Posted By: Donna MFS Re: Peg Tube removal - 06-22-2009 07:02 PM
When they pulled out my hubby's tube, he said it wasn't anything compared to everything else...I watched; they just "pop" it out and then out a bandage over it. Three days later we went out fishing on our boat and he even had a few beers afterward. Have a great time at the wedding...you deserve it!
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Peg Tube removal - 06-22-2009 09:43 PM
To have the PEG tube removed is very simple. Your husband will feel fine after a few minutes. Its going to make him feel great when he stands up. I was so happy that I could finally stand up straight again. A word of caution, it does hurt like heck when they pull it out but within 5 minutes the pain is gone. Maybe a tiny bit sore at the site, but not a big deal. Its a huge accomplishment to be PEG free smile
Posted By: Pete D Re: Peg Tube removal - 06-23-2009 01:24 AM
Some of the PEG tubes are 'anchored' with a balloon or donut-shaped obstruction on the end (Both of my 20F tubes have/had that). These are the ones that get yanked for removal.

Others rely on a couple of twists and longer length to keep them in, with nothing on the end (My 12F tube was like that; I removed and reinstalled it three times to unclog it).

Still others, like the Mic-Key button, have a balloon that's filled with water on installation, but drained for easy removal.
Posted By: ehall1 Re: Peg Tube removal - 06-24-2009 04:05 AM
I just had mine removed today. It really is a graduation day. You feel so excited because it is one more step on the road to normalacy. It didn't hurt when they pulled it out, but you did have the tug on your stomach feeling and then it was gone. the paperwork took longer than the procedure.
Posted By: Ray in Texas Re: Peg Tube removal - 06-24-2009 04:48 PM
I just got my PEG removed on June 12th. I played golf the next morning! There was a little sting and the doc said, "that's it." What hurt the most was pulling off the bandage that night when taking a shower. I had a nice shirt on when they pulled it and had them bandage it up so i wouldn't get any blood on it. It did not bleed the next day at all and i regret shaving the hair around it a little to prevent going through the pain of pulling the bandage off again. If you are like my wife, you will enjoy that PEG being gone as much as he does ;-) He should be able to eat whatever he is eating now.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum