Posted By: lorileona Chemo while traveling? - 06-01-2009 11:28 PM
Hi all,
Ron and I have started taking small trips. I asked his MO about him possibly missing a chemo so we could be gone longer and he said absolutely not. So for now we are stuck to short trips, 5 days or less so we can be back for Erbitux every Thursday. My question is, has anyone here ever gotten a chemo treatment at another cancer facility away from home? May be a very stupid question, just wondered if it was possible.
Thanks,
Lori
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-02-2009 01:38 PM
Lori,

Just reading your signature line begs the question of why would you even think about anything else but curing his cancer. Can't the travel or anything else be put off until after this hopefully last round of chemo?
Posted By: RPCV Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-02-2009 06:55 PM
[quote=lorileona] My question is, has anyone here ever gotten a chemo treatment at another cancer facility away from home? May be a very stupid question, just wondered if it was possible. [/quote]

Lori,

I wish could help. Did you ask the MO about it?

I personally would not know of a reason this could not be done, if coordinated with your MO and the new treatment facility (of couse you would have to assure them that your insurance would pay!) smirk

But as we all know, the medical community is fond of saying "That's not the way we do things!", so you will probably have to fight to get what you want.

I say...go for it!
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-02-2009 07:10 PM
Lori

Not a stupid question at all, but since you want something out of the usual bureaucratic routine, it may be difficult to arrange. Seeing that your husband is on Round 3, I understand your desire to take a longer trip and your frustration. However a weekly window should allow you to take advantage of all those 4 day, 3 night specials to Mexico, NYC, Miami and other prepackaged air/hotel deals in the Sunday paper. Heck even a 5 night cruise is doable with some planning. Based on my experience with hospital bureaucracy compared to travel planning, it would be easier to work around the schedule. We crammed Italy into 4 nights at Rome and 3 in Venice and still had a blast last year. When I was working, I only had a week off realistically due to work load, yet we did Istanbul in a week and even Alaska on a cruise. Worst case scenario: you are a day late for chemo: at this point, I'd vote for travel and fun.
charm
Posted By: lorileona Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-02-2009 08:16 PM
David,
I was devastated at your reply. You had me in tears for a long time. Do you not think we would do ANYTHING to change this situation? Ron is not going to be cured at this point, no matter how much we wish it were different. The Erbitux is Palliative chemo. I am trying to watch my words here, but can I just say that you are not on this road with us and you have no idea what we have been through and continue to go through? I am so happy for you that your cancer is in remission right now, and I hope you never have to experience a recurrence. I would appreciate it if you would no longer respond to my posts, since I do not find your advice helpful or supportive. Thank you. I truly wish you the best.
Lori
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-02-2009 09:40 PM
Lori,

I should have read backwards instead of just posting to your one post. I couldn't feel worse myself right now and I think you should do anything that makes you two comfortable. I know I would.

Please forgive me.
Posted By: lorileona Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-02-2009 10:34 PM
David,
Thank you for your apology. I do forgive you, of course. I am just feeling very fragile right now, so your reply kind of hit me the wrong way.
Sincerely,
Lori
Posted By: EzJim Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-03-2009 11:31 AM
Lori, I would do whatevr made life a little more pleasureable for the 2 of you. Why not get your chemo Dr to call whever you are going and maybe he couls set it up where the Chemo would be available there. Drs understand each other and usually want to impress each other like most of us do. Go for it. Nothing ventured is nothing gained ..
Posted By: slim Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-03-2009 02:54 PM
Hi Lori, I'm sorry I don't have an answer to your original question. Since as you stated you are basically "buying time" at this point. I would make whatever travel plans you and your husband want to and worry about chemo when you get back. I doubt missing 1 chemo session or delaying it will make a difference. Make memories and then you won't be left wishing you had gone somewhere together or done something together that you didn't get to do. I am so sorry you and your husband are going through this. Wanda
Posted By: jrch26 Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-04-2009 03:59 PM
We live approximately 45 minutes from the hospital my mother is being treated at (on a good day with no traffic). The last time we were in to see the MO my mom asked if she was able to get her weekly chemo at a hospital closer to home. The answer was yes, however she cant just write an order for a certain medication to be given and another doctor has to follow it. She basically said that she would need to go through the entire process and have the other hospital set up a treatment plan which may differ from what she is currently receiving. Hope that helps!
Posted By: Sophie H. Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-04-2009 04:37 PM
Dear Lori,

I think you should do what feels right to you and Ron. I think its important to have certain experiences even if it means delaying a chemo treatment, I would do it. A close friend of mine had pancreatic cancer (surgery was not an option) and he had palliative chemo. He and his wife took some amazing trips as well as some that were just relaxing for them and for their family. His last trip (6 weeks before his death) was to spend a week at our beach house just with his wife, and his adult children and his brother's family. It was a magical and stress free week just to be with each other and it meant so much to everyone. From reading your posts, you and Ron have been vigilant about his treatment and have pursued every reasonable path so you should have no qualms about creating some positive times for yourselves away from the medical world.

Take care- Sophie
Posted By: Cookey Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-04-2009 07:06 PM
Patty should have taught us all one thing - live for the moment and never put of till tomorrow what you can do today

love liz
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-04-2009 07:54 PM
Lori,

Im so sorry you are going thru this. I want to share something that may help you.

I work for Verizon doing customer service. Yesterday, I spoke to a man who just came back from having cancer treatments in Mexico and out west someplace like Arizona or New Mexico. My call started by speaking to his wife about their bill as they had just returned. I told her how sorry I was to hear about her husbands illness. She probably thought I was full of crap like alot of customer service reps can be. I asked her if she would mind telling me what kind of cancer and to my surprise it was OC. She said her husband wouldnt talk to me cuz he was concerned about his speech, that I wouldnt be able to understand him.

After I told her I was also an oral cancer survivor and went thru it twice she put him on the phone. He was so happy and surprised to speak to someone else who has gone thru OC. We talked all about treatments and he told me how he does his chemo at home. I asked him a few questions since I remembered your post. He told me that his doctors have him do 2 bags of chemo, cisplatin at home. I would have loved to spend more time talking to him but probably would have gotten in trouble for not being work focused enough. I did manage to slip into the conversation the OCF website and hope they sign up. This was the first time I have ever spoken to an OC patient while I was at work.

Long story short....if this man can do it at home then it should be an option. Check with your doc. I hope its available for you. Enjoy your travels smile

Posted By: lorileona Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-04-2009 11:50 PM
Thank you all for your responses. I think we will be sticking fairly close to home for now, making sure we are here for chemo. Depending on Ron's progress though, we may just decide that missing one treatment is worth it. jrch26, sure wouldn't want to start all over somewhere at this point!
Lori
Posted By: jrch26 Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-05-2009 12:23 PM
Lori, that is for sure! Good luck with everything, keep smiling and cherish every moment!!
Posted By: Eileen Re: Chemo while traveling? - 06-05-2009 05:02 PM
Lori,
Why don't you just ask the chemo doctor if it is possible to get one treatment elsewhere if you wanted a longer trip. I vaguely remember Amy trying to arrange something like this so her husband could visit his parents in Michigan. I unfortunately do not remember whether she was successful in getting the treatment there or not. They did take the trip. You might try PMing her and asking. She rarely signs onto the board anymore. She did have a blog.

Take care,
Eileen
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum