Posted By: Charm2017 Red Red Wine -Question - 05-25-2009 03:54 PM
My hopes were dashed last night on 60 minutes. I had been reading about red wine and cancer:
[quote]What have red wine studies found?

The cell and animal studies of red wine have examined effects in several cancers including leukemia, skin , breast, and prostate cancers . Scientists are studying resveratrol to learn more about its cancer preventive activities. Recent evidence from animal studies suggests this anti-inflammatory compound may be an effective chemopreventive agent in three stages of the cancer process: initiation, promotion, and progression.[/quote]
So I felt good about putting that red wine into my PEG tube. Then Morley Safer had a segment on the new Resveratrol pill with their scientists who explained it would take a THOUSAND BOTTLES OF WINE A DAY to get the dose they used for the above noted effects. Still it sounds very promising (big Pharm even bought out the start up company ) with projected availability in FIVE years until Morley pointed out that 9 out 10 drugs that cure cancer in mice do NOT work on humans.
I was going to post this in adjunctive therapy but right now it's not even ready for that forum then I did have a question that maybe the resourceful people here may give me a lead.
QUESTION: Human trials are supposed to be starting and I was wondering if any of you know tips or tricks to get into a study like this? Is there a clearinghouse for these early studies (I know about studies of already approved drugs like erbitux but this is not FDA approved )thanks
Charm
Posted By: Cookey Re: Red Red Wine -Question - 05-25-2009 03:59 PM
Why not just carry out your own study and submit the results to them charm.It will save a lot of money lol
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Red Red Wine -Question - 05-25-2009 04:00 PM
I should have made it clear: I mean the study by the producers of the synthetic Reservatrol pill on TV , NOT a Mexican clinic or Texas "clinical study" group or any of the other bogus cure or treatment places even if they are using some kind of red wine or polyphenol or other antioxidant variant. Zero interest in wasting time and money on frauds
Typing this out and posting it has helped me already as it dawned on me that I can send an e-mail to 60 minutes to ask for more info. But maybe someone out there knows someone in the loop?
Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Red Red Wine -Question - 05-25-2009 04:03 PM

Liz
Only if you will join me Birthday girl wink
But I like the idea - although I will need a bigger PEG tube.
charm
Posted By: Markus Re: Red Red Wine -Question - 05-25-2009 07:38 PM
Charm

there are several human trials underway and beginning (at least one P1 is finished)

here are a few links to keep you busy.
http://www.cancer.gov/clinicaltrials/CCUM-2004-0535
Phase I trial completed.... published results
97th Annual Meeting, April 1-5, 2006, Washington, DC. 2006
THAT is a bit thin... just an abstract at a meeting??

More interesting:
http://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/results?intr=%22Protective+Agents%22
->refine search Resveratrol

M

Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Red Red Wine -Question - 05-25-2009 09:59 PM
Marcus

Thanks for the pointers. Lead me to clinicaltrials.gov where 10 studies popped up but none applicable (colon cancer, colorectal cancer, follicualar lymphoma ) plus the completed one you found for "healthy participants with zero history of cancer in 5 years"
Also found a Jan 2009 blog on the same 60 minutes show I saw last night - It was a repeat as it turns out !!! so very old news just recycled. It did have the company name so I can follow up. Thanks
Charm
Posted By: Markus Re: Red Red Wine -Question - 05-25-2009 10:27 PM
Charm,
it is difficult to find exactly what you want. I also have not found anything with resveratrol and oral cancer with respect to ongoing trials.

Perhaps we have to do our very own personal trial with the occasional glass or red wine.....

BTW to "fuel" the above argument
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/10211549
(note of caution this was JUST a cell line study, and once you ingest the wine you will of course greatly dilute the substance.... but still.

M

Posted By: Charm2017 Re: Red Red Wine -Question - 05-25-2009 11:33 PM
Marcus

thanks. While I know opinions vary on the wisdom of ingesting alcohol if you had oral cancer, all the concerns I saw dealt with it's deleterious effects on the mouth tissue. I almost forgot to add this argument in favor of the PEG to one of our new members. I just finished pouring a bolus of red wine into my PEG for dinner to accompany the Jevity 1.5. Luckily box wine works just fine (but be sure it is the box wine with real wine the same as would be in the company's bottles as opposed to those of just grain alcohol and grape juice). so now I have potentially a clinical trial of you. Liz and me. wink
charm
Posted By: Markus Re: Red Red Wine -Question - 05-26-2009 12:30 AM
Charm,
well in that case I serve as the non PEG control together with Liz. As I wrote in another post alcohol is not = alcohol. It will depend on the % and how long and much you keep in your mouth. The effect (acetaldehyde production which is the carcinogen) is local and dependent on the local uptake by the cells (and their metabolism) and therefore in the contact time. So lower % alcohol seems better than higher %. With that logic (!) drink quickly then rinse your mouth with water.... (or use a PEG)
I am not aware of any hard data supporting the opinion above, it seems logical but that does not prove it.

In any case I personally am not worried about an occasional glass or two (wine) on the weekend.

M

Posted By: stumble Re: Red Red Wine -Question - 07-02-2009 07:03 PM
My husband starts Erbitux July 7 and was told to stop taking the Reversatrol capsules he has been taking for the last month since they might react with the Erbitux. I told him to go ahead and take it during Chemo. It has helped his energy and sexuality greatly since beginning Reversatrol and I can't help but think it will also help him through the Chemo and radiation regimen.

Sandy
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum