Posted By: Charm2017 Scar Massage - 05-13-2009 01:55 PM
After the surgery, I was not immediately told about scar massage. It wasn't until I started physical therapy for the neck dissection shoulder issues that this very simple technique was shown to me. At Monday's follow up visit with the plastic surgeon over the tongue reconstruction skin grafts, the resident went out of her way to stress the importance of scar massage on my wrist flap area, saying that otherwise I may need steroid treatments. For those who haven't been told about it, of course ask your doctor before jumping in but here's most of the printed handout I got

[quote]Scars cause tissue adhesion between the tissues and the muscles beneath them. To perform scar massage, gently rub your fingers gently over the scar in a circular motion. You may also rub back and forth across the scar, You should check periodically for ares on the sacr which do not move easily and concentrate on those areas. Pressure should be gentle and should not cause pain. You can massage several times a day for a few minutes at a time. If there is readness, pain or oozing from the scar, you should stop and consult with your therapist or doctor, The scar should be healed before beginning massage[/quote]
Posted By: Eileen Re: Scar Massage - 05-13-2009 04:53 PM
Scar Massage should also be done on the scar from neck dissections to keep it from tighening up. It's been too many years since mine to remember the details so check with your physical therapist. I do remember that I was to rub across the scar as well down it.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: Cecilia Re: Scar Massage - 05-14-2009 07:58 PM
Well we were told about the scar massage, then the physio said Martin's neck was too painful to him to start, now we are waiting for an appointment. I hope it's not too late, his scar feel like there is a rod of metal underneath it!
Another one to add to the list next time i see the consultants.
Posted By: KevBach Re: Scar Massage - 05-15-2009 03:41 AM
I love my scar massage. My therapist starts with a 45 min stone massage.....then I get 45 minutes of her rubbing my scar tissue area. Helps the lymph edema too for a while. smile
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum