Posted By: davidcpa New radiation machine on the horizon - 03-05-2009 10:08 PM
I spent the day with my RO from Moffitt today and he told me this...Sometime this summer Moffitt will have operational a new radiation machine that will SLASH, with a CAPITAL S, the table time for radiation delivery. For example, he told me that where as my radiation sessions took 15 to 20 minutes (without measurements), this new machine will deliver the same fractional dose with as much or greater accuracy and flexibility in appx 1 MINUTE. It will also give the operators a computer scan every day so they can adjust to changes with much more frequency and accuracy eliminating those measurement days. This new machine will be aptly called RAPID RT.
___
Posted By: Good1 Re: New radiation machine on the horizon - 03-05-2009 11:21 PM
David

That is the machine that was used for my last radiation treatment. St John's Cancer Institute here has one of 11 in the country. It can also deliver a higher dose of radiation since it is more precise.

I hope that you two spent the day together playing golf or something enjoyable and not for any other reason.

Patty
Posted By: davidcpa Re: New radiation machine on the horizon - 03-05-2009 11:44 PM
That's the first time he mentioned it and it sounds like a great new tool and no we spent the day teaching med students at Moffitt.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum