Posted By: Daughter in VA removal of feeding tube question - 02-27-2009 07:02 PM
I am not sure I understand the ins and outs of the feeding tube.
My mother recently had hers removed and that very day was able to eat.

Doesn't the tube create a hole through the skin and stomach lining, in order to transfer fluids into the stomach? Doesn't that hole need time to heel (close)?

How long is this recovery?

Thanks.
Posted By: William1949 Re: removal of feeding tube question - 02-27-2009 07:20 PM
Yes, the hole closes up immediately upon removal. It will form a small "crust" like scab on the hole which will fall off in two weeks or so ( that was my experience ). Nothing for her to do except be glad it's gone. Regarding your comment about her already eating, the Doctor would not have removed unless she had shown the ablility to eat. Worse thing you can do is remove the PEG before you can demonstrate ability to take in calories on your own. Best of luck to her in her recovery.
Posted By: Markus Re: removal of feeding tube question - 02-27-2009 11:26 PM
The removal of the PEG is normally a non issue compared to what happened before...
it is generally a positive development because it means that you are able to eat normally and that the treatment is over!

all good!

M
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: removal of feeding tube question - 02-28-2009 12:22 AM
Heh, I asked if I could eat after having my PEG removed, I hadn't had breakfast yet, and was told it was not problem. I guess the lining of the stomach closes right up. The skin did take a little bit of time to heal, but it wasn't that bad at all.
Posted By: Pete D Re: removal of feeding tube question - 02-28-2009 09:28 AM
The stomach hole apparently closes in a few hours, but not immediately because I was able to remove clean and reinsert my previous clog-prone PEG four times...
Posted By: Good1 Re: removal of feeding tube question - 02-28-2009 03:23 PM
I can't even imagine doing that Pete - you are a man of many talents.

Patty
Posted By: Maria G Re: removal of feeding tube question - 03-07-2009 01:41 AM
HI
I am a nurse and I couldn't believe when I finally had my Peg Tube removed or should I say ripped out. The doc said the pressure created by it created a closure. I was so happy and relieved to have that smelly thing removed. So there is no need to worry.
Posted By: Pete D Re: removal of feeding tube question - 03-07-2009 08:58 AM
The PEG tube that I removed was the kind that is long and kinky but had no balloons or donuts on the end to prevent removal -- The hard part was putting in back in because I had to get the holes to line up -- It occurs to me that if I were going to do it again, I would have something on hand to stick right into the holes before I moved so they would stay aligned!

That PEG really was a badly designed one from a user perspective and every time I read here about one to be installed by a radiologist I wince a little because it was the radiology dept at UDub that installed mine.

I was glad to get rid of my first one, gladder to get my second one (which allowed me to get rid of my naso-gastric tube) and very glad to get my third one. Right now I'd starve without it!
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum