Posted By: angels1313 Bad taste in mouth - 11-09-2008 08:41 PM
I don't know how others have handled the terrible taste in their mouth but I am having a time of it. To me it taste like pure salt at all times. It is so nauseating that I can hardly eat anything. I tried to eat a half of an egg sandwich with mayo and couldn't get the first bite down. Tasted like old grease. Several things I have tried to eat taste like old grease as well. I have mints but they also taste like salt. I don't know what to do as I am not getting enough nutrician down to keep a bird alive. I weigh about 125 lbs and can't afford to loose weight. I drink the ensure and water, eat jello and yougart but that is all I can stomach. Any suggestions as to what to do? Thanks, Angel
Posted By: Lani G Re: Bad taste in mouth - 11-09-2008 09:21 PM
Angel,

I have a salty taste in my mouth very often. When not salty, it's a very sweet taste. But then those are the two dominant things I taste in foods, too. Have you tried using the Biotene mouth wash? I find that even a quick shot with the mouth spray helps, though it helps to swish some water in my mouth first.

Lani

Posted By: angels1313 Re: Bad taste in mouth - 11-09-2008 11:10 PM
Lani, Is the biotene a prescription? I don't have that. All I know is that today I am very nauseated. I have tried non alcoholic mouth wash as well but nothing will get this taste out of my mouth and it is making me so sick. I will talk to the Dr. tomorrow. I have an appt with my ENT, radiologist, and chemo Dr.'s. Maybe someone could help me. Thanks, Angel
Posted By: Lani G Re: Bad taste in mouth - 11-09-2008 11:16 PM
Angel,

No. It's on most pharmacy shelves with the toothpaste and mouth washes. I'ts made specifically for dry mouth relief (lots of RO's give out samples). I have the mouth wash, mouth spray, and toothpaste. Even though I don't have teeth, I brush my tongue with it. I keep the mouth spray - mint flavor but not enough to irritate - with me at all times and use it very often, including when I first wake up.

Lani
Posted By: margaret_in_ma Re: Bad taste in mouth - 11-10-2008 12:02 AM
Lani,

I have yet to find the mouth spray in a store! I can find the mouthwash and the toothpaste, but that's it. I may end up ordering from the website.

http://www.laclede.com/

Angel,

The taste in my mouth changes on an almost daily basis. And it is so frustrating! I too have been dropping some pounds, but I have quite a few to spare. The docs don't want too much loss, though, so I'm struggling along eating as best as I can.

- Margaret
Posted By: Lani G Re: Bad taste in mouth - 11-10-2008 12:24 AM
Margaret,

My little "hometown" drug store didn't have it, but I just told them I use it, and now there it is.

Here, Walmart and Walgreens both have it. I haven't looked anywhere else because I haven't needed to. I bet if you ask them to, your store will start to carry it. You could also try the web site. They might help you out with where to find it in your area. The spray is my favorite, and I didn't even know they had started to make it until someone here at OCF told me.

Lani
Posted By: ChristineB Re: Bad taste in mouth - 11-10-2008 02:45 AM

Angel

Have you tried the salt/baking soda/water rinse? That is something that you can do several times per day. Its a quart of water, 2 tsp baking soda and 2 tsp salt. If the salt bothers you it can be omitted or cut the amount down.

Biotene spray and rinses are available at walmart and rite aid.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Bad taste in mouth - 11-10-2008 01:33 PM
Angel,

We all can be different but I just got to the point that I would just pinch my nose, like my Mom use to tell me, and swallow my VHC as fast as I could. Then I would pinch my mouth shut and stand over the sink just in case. Just all like of the yucky phases we go thru, this will pass in time.
Posted By: Eileen Re: Bad taste in mouth - 11-10-2008 06:22 PM
Everything tasting salty just means you have lost all taste for everything except salt. I had the same problem. Even bottled water tasted salty. For me, eventually salty went away and changed to cardboard. Try the Ensure Plus rather than the Ensure. 360 calories a can or Dave's Caranation VHC. I liked the butterpecan and coffee Ensure Plus and still drink the vanilla. Also rinse with the baking soda. It does help the mucous problem.

Take care,
Eileen
Posted By: AmyK Re: Bad taste in mouth - 11-10-2008 11:52 PM
Salt for me too. Thanks for posting the question. I am going to try the baking soda rinse now. I too am loosing too much weight too fast. 5'4" and down to 115lbs. I haven't seen that on the scale since puberty!
Posted By: angels1313 Re: Bad taste in mouth - 11-11-2008 04:13 AM
Lani, I did find the store that has the biotene. The toothpaste was $10.00 a tube. I think I will try the spray soon and the mouthwash. Thanks a lot. Angel

Christine, Yes I have tried the salt and baking soda but stopped it when everything went to sal but I will start it again as I think it did help some with the taste. Thanks, Angel

David, If I tried to swallow something quickly right now I better be standing over something. lol I am very sick at my stomach. My chemo Dr. gave me Emend and that has been great until I got thrush. He also gave me another nausea med but I couldn't take it as it made me highly nervous, so he ordered me another one and medicare wouldn't approve so now he has ordered compazine to take along with the emend and on the days I don't take emend. I pick it up tomorrow and I sure hope it helps. Thanks, Angel

Eileen, I really appreciate you reminding me that the salt and baking soda helps with the mucous. I am having a time with that as well. Expecially after I have slept several hours and wake up I feel like I have been on a desert island without any water for a month. And to come up with enough salava to spit is a trip. Thanks, Angel

AmyK, I am having the same problem with weight. I didn't weigh to much to begin with and I worked hard to gain up to 130 lbs and now I've lost what I gained and then some. My chemo Dr. said to start drinking everything I can and try to drink milkshakes along with the ensure, otherwise we are going to have to look toward the peg tube. But until we get this nausea problem helped some I can't even drink coffee or ensure but I am getting down water and a little ensure but I know that is not enough. One thing about it is that you have to drink water as this treatment makes sure you do. I hope you get to feeling better and put on some weight. Thanks, Angel
Posted By: Susan2992 Re: Bad taste in mouth - 11-11-2008 06:22 AM
Angel,
$10 for the toothpaste is pretty expensive. I've paid anywhere from $5 to $8, and bought it at Wal-Mart, drug stores, and even my grocery store. Word must be getting out because some of the stores I shop at are now carrying more of the Biotene products.
Posted By: angels1313 Re: Bad taste in mouth - 11-11-2008 12:10 PM
Susan, I found the products at Rite Aid Pharmacy (what used to be Eckerds). They start at $8.99 and go up from there. I will check at our local Walmart. They normally always have the best buys. Thanks, Angel
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum