Posted By: Sharifah Brachytheraphy - 10-03-2008 06:51 AM
Hello everyone,

I am about to start my radiation treatment. I have come across brachytherapy. Has anybody out there gone through it?

Is it suitable and effective for SCC?

Thanks.
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Brachytheraphy - 10-03-2008 12:47 PM
Yes and no. Brachytherapy (BT) places radiation directly at the cancer site and therefore delivers it's killing power directly to the source while minimizing damage to other cells. I have read other posters, Jim for one, that had it placed in his tongue so he can talk more about that. The main problem with Oral Cancer is that they may or may not know where the Primary is and they may or may not know about nodal involvement but they don't know where else it may already have spread to so they pretty much will concentrate on the known areas but also they will deliver radiation throughout the oral cavity and neck area to give us the best chance of not having a recurrence.

You have already had a recurrence so you need to get nuked IMHO.
Posted By: Sharifah Re: Brachytheraphy - 10-03-2008 01:45 PM
David,

Thanks for the explanation. You mentioned the nuked IMHO. What is that?

Sharifah
Posted By: davidcpa Re: Brachytheraphy - 10-03-2008 03:15 PM
That's what I call being radiated cause that's what I felt like. Just a little off color humor.
Posted By: debandbill Re: Brachytheraphy - 10-03-2008 11:46 PM
Nuked = radiation

IMHO = acronym for "In My Honest Opinion"
Posted By: Sharifah Re: Brachytheraphy - 10-04-2008 01:43 AM
Sorry, I am quite new to the cyberlanguage.. at the same time I am also quite worried about getting myself nuked (ha ha) in a few days time.

I wonder if I am going to need to use a PEG later. At present, I am on liquid diet orally.

Thanx again.

Sharifah
Posted By: wilckdds Re: Brachytheraphy - 10-04-2008 02:21 AM
Sharifah,

If you use the search engine at the top right above and search for brachytherapy, you will find posts from Donnarose. Her mother had BT done at the University of Pennsylvania. You can also email Donna. Her email address is in her profile.

Jerry
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum