Posted By: ChristineB PEG tube and Port - 07-26-2007 07:58 PM
Has anyone had both the PEG tube and port put in at the same time? Im scheduled for the sugery first thing Monday morning. My concern is when I was told I would have to stay overnight in the hospital. If anyone has had both done at the same time, please let me know if you had to stay overnight in the hospital.

Thank you
Posted By: Stoj Re: PEG tube and Port - 07-26-2007 08:02 PM
Christine,

I had both done at the same time and I had to spend the night in the hospital. Mine wasn't really a surgery, they used a local/sedation mixture. It went really well, with a little minor soreness the next day. You'll do well I'm sure.

Tim
Posted By: ChristineB Re: PEG tube and Port - 07-26-2007 08:08 PM
Thank Tim for the info. I was under the impression it would be a quick in and out type thing for these. Today, when I talked to the surgeon, I found out I would probably have to stay over night. Being a single mom of 2 teenagers, I wasnt thrilled with the news. I had thought I would be back at work on Tuesday, but I guess it will be Wednesday now.
Posted By: janets Re: PEG tube and Port - 07-26-2007 11:51 PM
Christine,

My husband had it done on the same day the port in our local Surgical center at 8 in the morning and the peg done at the hospital at noon. He only stayed in the hospital until about 5 p.m. to have us instructed on how to use the peg. We did have to go to the ER the next morning because of pain which was caused from the air not being all released. I don't know if he would have got some walking done after the peg was put in he might not have had that happen. After the gas was all expelled he didn't have anymore trouble.Instead he was in a hospital bed until we were dismissed then he came home and right into his easy chair.

janets
CG:To Larry. 61 yr old. Finished treatment May 31,07. T1,N1,Mo Squamous Cell Carcinoma of the Tongue. 31 Radiation, 2 wks of Chemo.
Posted By: Markus Re: PEG tube and Port - 07-27-2007 11:18 AM
I did not have them done at the same time, in my case the procedures were a week apart.

The peg placement itself took about 20 minutes, of course you spend time before and after. I think afterwards I waited 2h max before I left. For the port from what I remember it was similar.

Perhaps the overnight stay is a "just in case" scenario, and you might actually be able to go home after all. However, as far as work and teenagers are concerned. You are fighting cancer. This is not something which you can do on the side. This is serious and you need to put your energy into this.

Markus
Posted By: Nelie Re: PEG tube and Port - 07-27-2007 01:45 PM
I had them done at the same time--first semi-awake (though I don't rememebr much)for the PEG then totally put under after that for the port. I spent the night after the two procedures--there is a bit of pain right after you get the PEG from them cutting through stomach muscle, so spending the night helped them to control that and it also helped not have to move around a lot which was good. I saw the nutritionist the next moring about the care and feeding of my PEG then they released me.

Nelie
Posted By: ChristineB Re: PEG tube and Port - 07-27-2007 06:08 PM
Thanks everyone for the info. I am going in on Monday morning for the PEG tube and port placement. Tuesday I need to have 3 teeth removed before my chemo and radiation starts the following week. Wednesday is the hearing test due to getting cisplatin, gotta be careful. As far as back to work goes, sure seems like next week I wont make it.
Posted By: JAM Re: PEG tube and Port - 07-27-2007 06:24 PM
Hi, Christine,-just pretend I am one of your adopted caregivers- please remember that you are facing a real challange here- one that will stretch your stamina to the limit at times. I hope you, your Boss, AND your teenagers all have realistic expectations about what you work schedule will be [including at home]! This is a new routine and right now it is all about you getting through this and getting well. Take care. Amy in the Ozarks
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum