Posted By: PeteyB Fentanyl Patch Article / FYI - 06-19-2007 11:42 AM
Hello all

This is most likely an extremely rare and isolated situation and is intended to bring awareness, not panic.

Jury deciding if pain patch leaked, killing man, 28
By JANE MUSGRAVE
Palm Beach Post Staff Writer
Tuesday, June 19, 2007
WEST PALM BEACH
Posted By: jordan Re: Fentanyl Patch Article / FYI - 06-19-2007 03:17 PM
OMG-thats freaky. I am also taking Fentny, with either Oxycodone or Vicodin and an anti-depressant. Should i call my docs and see what they say? They all know what I'm taking but now I'm freaked out.
Posted By: brenfran25 Re: Fentanyl Patch Article / FYI - 06-19-2007 05:07 PM
Petey--I'm all for awareness---but sometimes people can have an unexpected reaction to any substance, or find a piece of glass in some foodstuff!
I can see where you're coming from--have a friend who's a 'thalidomide' baby---but do people already in pain with lots of issues suddenly have to deal with this as well???
100 cases in entire nation? Hmmmmmm
Jordan, please don't freak---speak to pharmacist about your combinations---he's the best one to set your mind at rest!
Brenda
Posted By: jordan Re: Fentanyl Patch Article / FYI - 06-19-2007 06:14 PM
Brenda-my mom said the same thing- I guess I don't need to start worrying about this now. I've been on this combination for months.
Posted By: JAM Re: Fentanyl Patch Article / FYI - 06-19-2007 10:39 PM
Toward the end of the 1st yr of my husband's tx, we had amassed more prescription drugs than I could keep up with. I started meeting with our pharmacist on a regular basis to talk about all the meds. John was on. On several occasions he alerted me that the combination was not so good and I would call the Docs to rethink the situation. Our family Doc got him in trouble on several occasions[trying to be helpful]. You really do need to be vigilant about the drugs. One of the drugs John absolutely could not tolerate was Fentanyl. Amy in the Ozarks
Posted By: sharlee Re: Fentanyl Patch Article / FYI - 06-20-2007 12:22 AM
I know we had a death here due to the fentalyn patch . A young kid like 19 a year ago. Some one broke into a house of a cancer patient that had passed away ( so they had to know her) and stole the patches... They were "selling" them at a party and one kid ATE 2 or 3 and we know how that turned out. I swear somtimes people just dont use things as they are supose to,
Posted By: Gary Re: Fentanyl Patch Article / FYI - 06-20-2007 06:26 AM
We have had many discussions in the past on safety precautions for using Fentanyl patches. But I will briefly repeat them:
1. Use gloves when applying them.
2. NEVER use a patch that has been torn, damaged or leaking.
3. Follow the directions for use very carefully, especially storage and disposal.

Like many others here, I can attest to the effectiveness of Fentanyl (AKA Duragesic) for maintenance of my pain. I probably wouldn't have survived without it. Like electricity, it is very powerful, benefical but dangerous. You must respect it and be very careful about it's use.
Posted By: Brian Hill Re: Fentanyl Patch Article / FYI - 06-20-2007 10:36 PM
Petey, Please send any news articles to me or Sheldon to put up in the news section of the website and don't post them on the boards. Personally I think this story doesn
Posted By: PeteyB Re: Fentanyl Patch Article / FYI - 06-21-2007 12:07 AM
Brian

I will adhere to your request. I did stress your concerns in the first sentence, but I will follow you lead.

Sincerely, Petey
Posted By: sharlee Re: Fentanyl Patch Article / FYI - 06-21-2007 01:25 AM
I agree brian ..everyone reacts differently to things and in the case I was refering to ..MAN was it ever wrong 1st it wasnt even prescribed to him and he ATE them not one but two or three !
Posted By: Gary Re: Fentanyl Patch Article / FYI - 06-21-2007 11:36 AM
We had a pharmacist near my area who committed suicide several years ago by slapping Fentanyl patches all over his body. He had accidently killed some folks by not following aceptic procedures when he was compounding some medicines.

But bizarre stories are not serving the people here so I am closing this thread. If anyone wants to, they can start a new one about Fentanyl but keep it to patient and treatment issues that are real.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum