Posted By: allisonandjim Radiation and the saliva glands? - 04-18-2007 12:57 AM
Is it possible to go through radiation treatment for base of tongue cancer without losing the saliva glands? Thanks!
Posted By: Gary Re: Radiation and the saliva glands? - 04-18-2007 02:17 AM
It depends on the type of radiation. XRT will typically take out all of the salivary glands. IMRT will take out the one(s) in the immediate radiation field. Even with IMRT it still took me 18 months to get salivary function back but it's in pretty good shape now.
Posted By: Dragan Re: Radiation and the saliva glands? - 04-18-2007 04:36 PM
I had IRT too, and I think I'm doing quite well. I finished treatment about 8 months ago, and my salivary production is probably 75% what it was pre-surgery, and I have lost roughly half of the capacity including the left parotid.

It's possible, but it takes time
Wayne
Posted By: dogman Re: Radiation and the saliva glands? - 04-18-2007 06:33 PM
Mine also came back. Before I had the radiation they said with this type of machine we think we can save it, and they did.
Good Luck
Posted By: William Dozier Re: Radiation and the saliva glands? - 04-18-2007 09:48 PM
I am also a base of tongue victim, right side. I had IMRT treatment with majority of hits to my right side. My radiation Doc explained that they would do what they could to salvage the left side glands but for the most part the right side ones would be gone. Now, 9 months post Tx, I seem to have occasional dry mouth and haven't been able to zero in on any one thing that brings it on. At times my whole mouth will seem dry and at other times I can hardly tell any loss. It is quite weird and unpredictable. I am in a business that requires a lot of talking to folks both on the phone and in person. I keep a bottle of water at my side along with my Biotene gum which certainly helps. The worst dryness is when waking in the mornings. I obviously breathe through my mouth but within minutes of getting up and walking around in the morning I can feel the saliva beginning to return.

Bill D.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum