Posted By: Darrell G. Rakestraw 2nd Metastastic tumors - 12-28-2006 06:36 PM
I met with my oncologist today at VA Memphis. Since the platinum based drugs and I died when they tried to administer Erbitux (acute annefelectic (spelling, I don't have a clue) allergic response).
I may be eligible for a clinical trial beginning next week involving a new third generation platinum based drug (Oxaliplatin) (infused)coupled with a pill (capecitabine) both yet to be established and approved by FDA.
But if I don't qualify, I am still not throwing in the towel. We may have to go back to the older generation drugs. But I remain that this disease will eventually kill me, but not without a fight...
Darrell
Posted By: davidcpa Re: 2nd Metastastic tumors - 12-28-2006 07:33 PM
Darrell,

Hang tough. We are all here to help and support you.
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: 2nd Metastastic tumors - 12-28-2006 11:10 PM
Darrell,

I hope they will be able to put a stop to your recurrence. You know that we are all here for you as David has said. We will be waiting on the side lines and praying all will go well for you.

I hope this new trial drug will you and many others as well.

Take Care
Diane
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: 2nd Metastastic tumors - 12-28-2006 11:14 PM
OOPS !

The sentence was: I hope this new trial drug will HELP you and many others as well.

(just got new laptop & not use to it yet)

Take care.. Diane
Posted By: MD50 Re: 2nd Metastastic tumors - 12-29-2006 01:00 PM
Well I just left work and I listened to 3 healthy people complain to me about money, work schedules, Kids, etc.----- Then I come home and read this post by Darrell who is facing mortality head on, squeezing every drop he can out of life, with dignity and strengt.Darrell your a wonderful role model to so many. Keep going strong and good luck with the experimental tx.
Posted By: Darrell G. Rakestraw Re: 2nd Metastastic tumors - 12-30-2006 11:55 AM
Nobody wants to be around a complainer. I face my disease and it's subsequent outcome with faith and hope. I know that this disease will kill me but I am not going to go out without a fight.
I too butchered the syntax in my original post.
Diane, removed the jugular vain? That's what they wanted to do in my first met's but they did'nt think I would survive the surgery. In hindsight maybe that's What I should have done. The tumor was spiraled around the carotid artery and the Jugular vein.
Keep Laughing, It's good for you.
Darrell
Posted By: DM32ASA Re: 2nd Metastastic tumors - 12-30-2006 01:55 PM
Hi Darrell,

Yes, they removed the Jugular Vein and when I found out I almost fell off the exam table!
We have all been under the understanding we could die if this was done. NO! You have two veins. Plus the body will take another vein on that side and widen it which will replace the removed Vein. That is what I was told.

You are not whining Darrell. You are just trying to face this disease the best you can. You do have the right to complain. We all do! None of us woke up one day and said "I want cancer in my life"
Hindsight is an interesting word. Just how far back should we all go? I should have payed more attention when my cancer first started. Maybe I should have not taken that first cigarette at age 13.
I think it is just to late for all that. Instead we should all fight with what we have. You are so right about that! We all need to remind ourselves of that.
Thanks Darrell for reminding us to fight!

Take care..
Diane Ps. Happy New Year!
Posted By: Jordan12 Re: 2nd Metastastic tumors - 12-31-2006 11:09 PM
Darrell,
Gil and I are thinking of you tonight. We are hoping that your upcoming treatment is successful. We are grateful for your thoughtful advice and great sense of humor. You have given yourself on this wonderful forum. You deserve a 2007 filled with love and hope.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum