Posted By: Gloveman Surgery yesterday - 03-31-2006 12:29 PM
Thanks to the wonders of modern technology, I am able to acess the this site from my father's bedside at Tampa General.

The surgery went well yesterday, but it was very long; he was under for almost 8 hours. Dr. Klotch was able to get clean margins at the base of the tongue, but ended up taking about half of the base.

There was extensive nodal involvement, but the surgeon spent an extra hour cutting around the neck nerves and arteries, he was able to save all of them.

My father is doing well all things considered. He is in quite a bit of pain, especially from the stomach tube. Also, he is having a difficult time coughing through the trach, so he needs suction a lot.

We ended up T3N2bM0.

Scott
Posted By: Gloveman Re: Surgery yesterday - 04-07-2006 10:56 PM
I am pleased to report that my father is healing quickly and as expected, no complications.

Thanks for the support.

Scott
Posted By: Molly Wilson Re: Surgery yesterday - 04-08-2006 02:08 AM
Your Dad and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. So glad to hear he is healing quickly!! laugh
Posted By: minniea Re: Surgery yesterday - 04-08-2006 01:09 PM
Hi Scott,
I missed your first posting when your dad had his surgery. I'm glad to hear that he's feeling better and hope that he continues to improve.
Minnie
Posted By: Gloveman Re: Surgery yesterday - 04-09-2006 08:32 AM
Thank you for your kind words.

The doctors want to begin chemo and radiation in two weeks, it seems a bit soon to me, but we will follow their advice.

The Dr. is recommending 67 rads? of radiation. Is this high, low or normal?

What side effects can we expect from this dose?

I appreciate your input.

Thank you,

Scott
Posted By: Gary Re: Surgery yesterday - 04-10-2006 07:49 AM
Some radiation treatment protocols call for 2 treatments a day. He will never get more than 2 cGy a day in any case.
Posted By: Kim S. Re: Surgery yesterday - 04-10-2006 11:31 AM
My Father is having 66 rads total with 1.8 cGy/day. What type of chemo Scott have they recommended for your father?
Posted By: Gloveman Re: Surgery yesterday - 04-10-2006 10:37 PM
Thank you for responding Sue,

We should have the doctor
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum