Posted By: Susie Shoulder Pain - 04-10-2005 12:09 AM
Hi, it' Susie, from downunder!
My hubby had a radical neck dissection about two and a half weeks ago. They took the neck muscle, the belly of the submandibular salivary gland, his jugular vein and 36 lymph nodes. They managed to preserve the shoulder nerve, but gave it buggery. He is suffering terribly with shoulder pain which is more in his back above his shoulder blade. He was given some anti-inflammatory medication, but it hasn't seemed to settle. I was wondering if anyone else had experienced the same problem.
Also he has extreme tightness under his jaw, I guess where they took the salivary gland. Does anyone know whether this will become softer and loosen up.
I would appreciate any info that would help my hubby.
Thankyou
Posted By: Mark Re: Shoulder Pain - 04-10-2005 09:10 AM
Hi Susie, I had the same operation and had a lot of muscle problems the same as you are describing. Very gentle massage daily helps quite a bit. Also physical therapy usually helps. The good news is that over time it gets better.

Take care
Posted By: Fran B. Re: Shoulder Pain - 04-11-2005 11:08 AM
Hi Susie; My extended radical neck was done two months ago. They started me on physio after four weeks which was very helpful, but things are still tight because of the edema where they took the salivary gland.That is slowly lessening. My operation was done post rads and there is a fibrosis situation which may not factor in your husbands' case?? The shoulder and upper back are always sore by the end of the day, even though I do all the exercises etc. and they had to cut the spinal accessory nerve as well. They assure me things will ease off and loosen with time. Now all we need is some time right!
Driving the car is a goal I have achieved, but it's still pretty hard to crank that stiff old neck around.
All the best,
Fran
Posted By: Susie Re: Shoulder Pain - 04-12-2005 02:16 AM
MARK
Hi Mark, thankyou for your reply. I'm glad to hear it does get better as he was in excrutiating pain....I felt so sorry for him. But since my post, it has eased a little. I've been massaging gently now that he can bear that (which he couldn't earlier) and it seems to have helped. Thankyou Mark, and good health to you.

FRAN,
Hi Fran
Yes, time is the essence here isn't it. The pain has eased a little, so we are thankful for that. He has also managed excercising, and before radiation starts, we will get some physio therapy on it. We are going to try swimming too at the hydrotherapy pool, so he can at least be more loose or fit before the next stage!!
It's a complete new way of life, isn't it. But I guess we'll get used to it.
Good luck Fran, and thankyou.
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum