Posted By: VickieM Blood Transfusions - 11-30-2004 04:46 PM
Was wondering how many of you have had to have blood transfusions during the course of your chemo? My father's blood counts- hemoglobin,platelets,etc, are very low, even with the Aranesp (sp?) and the Neulasta. The doctors office wants him to have the transfusion, but he is so stubborn he won't. He's said he's afraid he'll get AIDS on top of the cancer. I told him they test for that stuff, but you know how people can be. I have been a donor for 20years, told him that if we match, he can have mine. Sorry to carry on. Just wanted to know about the numbers needing transfusions.

Thanks,
VickieM
Posted By: helen.c Re: Blood Transfusions - 11-30-2004 04:55 PM
Vickie
Nothing to do with chemo, but my husband had to have a bllod transfusion due to low blood count, aids should not be a problem (here in the UK we have a problem with CJD,) but all the risks are low compared to the risks from NOT having the transfusion, hope you can convince him before he becomes so ill that he has no choice, why are Dads so stubborn?
Sunshine... love and hugs
Helen
Posted By: VickieM Re: Blood Transfusions - 11-30-2004 05:04 PM
Helen,

I will print your letter and show it to my father. Hopefully it will help. What is CJD? I've never heard of it?

Thanks,
VickieM
Posted By: helen.c Re: Blood Transfusions - 11-30-2004 05:24 PM
Vickie
Cannot spell the full version, mad cow disease is the commom name here, if you have a blood transfusion here in the UK you cannot give blood again. You get killed crossing the road!!! everything is a risk...
Sunshine...love and hugs
Helen
Posted By: karenng Re: Blood Transfusions - 11-30-2004 10:25 PM
Hi VickieM,
I had blood transfusion during my treatment when my white blood cells count dropped to a seriously low level. This may probably be due to chemo. I was about 5 weeks of treatment when I had high fever, got admitted to hospital and the doctor decided that I should have blood transfusion. I did not resist, had no fear about contracting AIDS because if I didn't have the blood transfusion, my condition would be very critical.The doctor prepared 2 bags of blood for me ( no idea how much !) but could not get all because there was a kind of resistance from my body half way that the doctor had to discontinue. We are very closely monitored and observed if we have blood transfusion. So tell your father not to worry.

Karen.
Posted By: didier Re: Blood Transfusions - 12-01-2004 07:38 AM
VickieM,
I'm in agreement with the above posts. My dad had two or three transfusions without any problems whatsoever. He too was concerned about AIDS, but honestly with all of the screening that takes place, the nurses assured us we shouldn't be alarmed. Not to discount the chance of a potential problem, we were told they were more concerned with the potential for transmission of Hepatitis C. As with any procedure one is always rightfully concerned, but we looked at the potential good that the treatments/transfusions could do versus the risk of not doing them.
All my best to you and your dad.
D
Posted By: Joanna Re: Blood Transfusions - 12-02-2004 12:38 AM
Well, there's always one person to disagree, and on this subject that would be me. I, like Karen, developed a high fever following treatment and was hospitalized with no white cells and precious few red ones. I refused the transfusion because I was worried about the local supply. Obviously, I survived and am flourishing without having had it. Not two weeks after I got home, there was a big deal about the local blood supply being tainted and people getting hep C. I would have accepted a transfusion from a family member, but there was none available. I think today that is the only safe bet. And on a side issue, not because I had cancer, but because I had chemo, the Red Cross has banned me, the 10 gallon, universal donor giver, for LIFE! Irritated? Me? Why would you think that? (grin).
Posted By: VickieM Re: Blood Transfusions - 12-02-2004 09:57 AM
Joanna,
He is so weak now that he has no choice but have the transfusion. I'm awaiting the doctors orders now, once we know his blood type, if I can I'll gladly give him all I can. I have an appointment to donate platelets on the 11th, maybe if compatible, I can do it sooner and give it directly to him. Wish us luck.

VickieM
© Oral Cancer Support - Survivor / Patient Forum